Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #1 
JKfish

Medications to treat Velvet?

Jaffa and Phoebe's velvet is getting worse, so is there any medicine I can buy that will treat their velvet. Also, can I treat them with that medication as well as Maracyn 1 and/or Maracyn 2 at the same time, or should I do do Maracyn 1and/or 2 first then the velvet medication when I'm done using the Maracyn?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #2 
Adastra

Definitely do one at a time. What symptoms are leading you to believe that the fish has both a bacterial infection and a parasite infestation? Are you sure the betta has velvet? Sometimes when bettas become ill and pale their colors change in a way that brings out a sort of golden iridescence. If your betta truly has velvet, it will be scattered all over the body and it is most evident in between the scales where the cysts tend to gather.

As for what medications work best, malachite green is the most effective anti-parasite medication I've ever used. It is quite harsh though, I would not mix it with other treatments.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #3 
JKfish

My two in the tank were from 4 girl sorority. the other two were euthanized because of dropsy and other issues. :(

One of my remaining girls had severe finrot that refuses to go away, and I'm wondering if whatever caused the dropsy and other stuff in the other girls might still be in my remaining girls.

I'm close to positive they both have velvet. Phoebe shows it the most, she's got redish-brownish rust colored speckles on her face, fins, etc, and it's gotten worse. Jaffa has goldish colored speckles that are mainly around her face.

I'm treating the tank with 50% water changes and 2 tsps of epsom salt per gallon.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #4 
Adastra

This picture is helpful and illustrates the tendency for velvet to appear in between the scales: http://www.ibcbettas.org/pages/image...faq/velvet.jpg

If you are very sure that they have velvet, I would QT the fish and start the malachite green treatment with 100% water changes. If they are still very sick a week after the malachite green treatment is stopped, then you can begin to consider the antibiotic treatment. If you hurry with both then you may push them over the edge and lose them. Make sure you give them time to recover and lots of high protein food to help them along.

I would also wean them off of the salt.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #5 
JKfish

yes, that looks like what they have. Would the malachite green take care of the finrot too maybe? also, where would I be able to get it?
Old 12-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

Coppersafe would treat the Velvet and the Fin Rot.. and you can use the Maraclyn 2 with it as well.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #7 
JKfish

With coper safe, doesn't it only kill the velvet when it's off the fish?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #8 
crowntail lover

Mardal Coppersafe

Here is a link that will tell more about it and one place where you can find it.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=4721
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #9 
JaspersANGEL

Aah sorry about ur two girl's, I really hope they get better and soon!
Sorry I cant help!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #10 
JKfish

I found it at petsmart, so I'll have to stop by there soon. Thank you Adastra and CrowntailLover :)