Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #1 
heythatsme

Trouble has Dropsy

My female Trouble has dropsy.

Housing
What size is your tank? 29 (moved to a 2.5)
What temperature is your tank? 81 in the sorority 79 in the new tank
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Just the filter and plants
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 9 other female bettas (now nothing)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1-2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10-30 depending on the time since the last one
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime do dechlorinate suberbac for cycling

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? pineconing, bloat
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? much less active/aggressive, fins not spread out
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 10 minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I moved her to my 2.5 gallon hospital tank
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? maybe 8 months to a year
I noticed that she as little bigger than normal yesterday in my sorority so I decided to fast the tank today and when I looked she was near the bottom looking very bloated with her scales sticking out so I took her into the new tank and now I'm wondering if aquarium salt is the best treatment or if I need epsom salt. If I can add aquarium salt I can do it right now but epsom will have to wait until I get off work at 11.
heythatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #2 
CodeRed

Unfortunately, Dropsy is usually fatal. It's suggested to simply keep her warm and happy and hope for the best. You can try aquarium salt, but if she's pineconing I wouldn't expect too much. Sometimes you'll get lucky and the dropsy can be caught in time to save their life, but not always. Sorry this happened, and hope everything works out.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I would do Epsom salt 1tsp/gal to start and increase to 2tsp/gal-I have gone up to 3tsp/gal-I would turn off the filter or even better put her in a small QT and float her in the heated tank-this will make the 100% daily water changes easier too and if you have either IAL or natural dried and fallen from the tree oak leaf they will work too for the tannins....but as posted already sometimes recovery is rare especially if it is system shut down...if just bacterial she has a chance.....good luck and keep us posted
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #4 
Miharu
Banned

I agree with the above posts, keep her warm and happy, add epsom salt to the water. Sometimes dropsy is treatable, but its rare, unfortunately most of the time it causes organ failure and the bloating/pineconing is caused by fluid buildup under the skin. Good luck!
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #5 
heythatsme

Ok well she's in a tsp per gallon solution now, 78 is probably as high as I can get for today. If I can get a better heater would it be better? I am aware that its probably too late but just to know and I'll turn off the filter. (its baffled so is that why or is there another reason?)
Old 12-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Dropsy is my sworn enemy..it's the first thing I check my fish for when they get sick.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #7 
heythatsme

Ok, so day 2 and it actually looks like she's a little less bloated. Still bloated but yesterday she looked like a pufferfish. (It would've been funny if it wasn't killing her) But the pineconing of her scales looks the same, maybe even a little worse. I upped the amount of epsom salt with her 100% water change today to 3.5 tsp in a 2.5 gallon tank. (I hope i'm not upping the salt dosage too fast with that OFL but it looked like its helping a little so I wanted to keep trying)
Oh, and for feeding I fed her 1 pellet in the morning and was going to hold off and ask if I should keep feeding her as normal while she's still bloated like this?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I would hold off on feeding for a couple of days...also the water temp is fine at 78F.....compromised fish and too high of water temp can sometimes cause other problems......I use up to 3tsp/gal on the Epsom salt but good that you are going slow with your increase....
Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #9 
heythatsme

Okay sweet. And the 78F is from a heater so it stays pretty constant. She looks about the same now as she did this morning. Still vaguely lethargic and definitely bloated but her fins are extended a bit more. I figure I'll add 4 tsp when I do the water change tomorrow. :/ How long does it usually take for them to get better if she does get better?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

That depends on the cause....if she is going to get better it can take anywhere from a week to two weeks...usually 10 days or so average-everyday you should see some improvement-if no improvement within 10 days its a good idea to switch treatment.