Malvolti

Betta Fins Curling

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 Ghost Shrimp, possibly a snail (I haven't seen it in a week and it might have been small enough for my Betta to munch). Java Ferns.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily
How Much do you feed your Betta? About 3-4 micro pellets per feeding.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 80%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I'm doing my 80% water change today, these are pre-change. Last change was 50% on Friday.

Ammonia: 0.6 ppm
Nitrite: 0.1 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: 7.5
Hardness: 120 (Carbonate Hardness 80 ppm)
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The rays on his fins are bending and curling. Picture below.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I've been watching and trying to research the cause for about 3 days.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope. Nothing to treat as far as I can tell.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Tail Biting count?
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for over 1 month but got him from PetsMart.

Ok, so it isn't really an emergency or disease but it's freaking me out because I don't know what's causing it. Basically the rays on his caudal and anal fins are starting to curl or bend. He's still healing from a tail biting incident so I guess it could just be the way his fins are growing in. Ijust want to make sure that's what it is before I dismiss it.

Here's a pic, it's hard to tell but if you look at the edges and for the ridges in his tail you can kind of make it out. Also if you look at his pectoral you see a bit of a white spot at the end, it has actually curled back in on itself.

Last edited by Malvolti; 12-20-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #2 
Adastra

Interesting betta, very wide caudal spread for a veil tail, and probably has some crowntail in his lineage. It's not unusual for the tail to grow in curled after it has been damaged. Keeping the water as clean as possible will help it grow in straight, but there's no guarantee that it will, especially if you have hard water.

Given your water params, you should test often and do an additional water change so that the ammonia and nitrite levels stay around .25 ppm while the tank is cycling. Whenever you do a fishless cycle you take a risk that the fish will be negatively affected, but minimizing the ammonia and nitrite the fish is exposed to will minimize the risk.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

What kind of water test product are you using and have you tested your source water since your number are skewed and you are performing adequate water changes-do your ammonia and nitrite go to 0ppm after the water change?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #4 
Malvolti

I'm using a Nutrafin test kit, the liquid kind with test tubes. I did test my tap water and it came back:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.5
Hardness: 120 (Carbonate Hardness 80 ppm)
Alkalinity: N/A

I'm going to be doing the water change after dinner (shorlty) so I'll re-test and post the numbers. With the holidays I have 3 weeks free so I'll be able to watch more closely and do more frequent testing/changes as needed.

I know my water is hard so I intend buying something to soften it a little but I dread adding more chemicals to my tank.

I also had the impression he might have some CT when I bought him, before he chewed his tail off. His tail wasn't the typical veil, it was wider and had points on it. Even his Dorsal, which you can't see, has elongated rays that go well past the webbing. Either way I think he's awesome.

Last edited by Malvolti; 12-20-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Personally I wouldn't use chemicals to change the hardness-its not that hard and your pH is fine-unless you buffer it the water will swing and this can be really stressful and will just bounce back-I would add some tannins if I did anything and see if that would help from either IAL or oak leaf.....some curling can be related to genetic, re-growth and age..basically normal-so it may not be water related per se and if he is otherwise fine and it is just cosmetic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #6 
JaspersANGEL

Really nice betta!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #7 
ilovebunnies

I like your betta. It looks like he has ruffles! :)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #8 
Duncan13

When I first saw him, I thought he was a delta! Nice fish!
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #9 
Malvolti

Thanks, he's a real cutey. I kind of like the curling too but I want to make sure it isn't being caused by something that needs to be fixed.

I re-tested the water twice and the tap water.

Tap Water:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0< ppm (It tested positive but not enough to be on the color scale provided)

Tank Water:

Ammonia: 0< ppm
Nitrate: 0< ppm

Again, they tested positive but too weak to actually be on the color scales provided.