Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #1 
crowntail lover

Exclamation Betta took a fall...

The night before last I was doing my regular cleaning routine on my tanks.. I seperated all my bettas into cups(with lids) so I could clean their tanks.. Well..when I check on everyone, I see one bowl empty..so I look at the floor and there he is.. I have no idea how he jumped out..The lid was on the cup..not clamped down..but sitting on the cup..
I picked him up and placed him in the cup..all I see are small grans of dirt or something coming off his body.. At this point his gills are barely moving and his fins are completey stuck to his body.. I lower the water level and help him swim with my figure just to keep hime moving and helped him up the to the the surface for air..he came around after a bit and his gills started to move at a even pace.......
Update- I am treating him with Mardel 1, MelaFix, and Fish Protector.. He is doing better. He is swimming a little, coming up for air, and is eating.. He has what I think is fin rot.. But the thing that I am stumped about is he cant use one of his Pectoral Fins but the other is just fine! It doesnt seem to the clamped together but it is sticking straight out from his body.. Here is a pic
Name:  Yuko 003.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  124.3 KB
Any suggestions?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #2 
crowntail lover

Anyone?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

..?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

All I see is black on the pic...but it may be my computer...its kinda old....anyway.....since I don't use any of the OTC medication I can't really advise...but I would do a full treatment course with them so you don't cause resistant issues........follow the direction on the label...careful mixing too many medication/chemicals together...also did he have the fin rot first or did it show up after the fall?

I have had lots of Bettas jump ending up on the carpet and even had one stuck to the wall once...little bugger can jump through the smallest opening..... I have had good luck with just a salt treatment to help with slim coat production along with the water changes to prevent a secondary infection
Hope he gets to feeling better......sorry I couldn't be of much help....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #5 
crowntail lover

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to describe the pic...ha
His left pectoral fin is sticking straight from his body..his body looks a little swollen at the base of the fin but nowhere else.. And no.. He didnt have the fin rot before the fall..

I tried the salt treatment the night it happend and earlier today.. It didnt seem to help a lot. But the meds Im using now are working there magic already. And the fish protector helps with the slim coat as well.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #6 
reaperss06

Hmm I have had my fish jump out onto a tile floor and seem to do fine, how high was the fall? waist high, head high, etc?

How long did he seem to be out of the water, things like that might help get someone who may have had a similar problem help you out.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #7 
crowntail lover

I have had this happen before... many times actually. The situation with the fall is being resolved just fine..I dont need help with that at all. I am asking about the pectorial fin only.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #8 
baylee767

When I first got Velvet I dropped him and he stopped using one of his pectoral fins for awhile. Turns out he had ripped it down the middle! Maybe your Betta injured it temporarily, like mine. If so he should be fine in a couple of hours. Can you get a pic of your Betta from the side?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #9 
crowntail lover

His fin has been like that for two days now... so I don't know..
And I will post one as soon as I can.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #10 
dragonfair

I can see the swelling at the base of his fin. It looks like he landed with his fin in the wrong position and the joint got broken or sprained. Believe it or not, I had that happen. Sounds like you're doing what you need to - keep him nice and warm with really clean water; the Melafix & Fish Protector. Especially keep him calm & quiet for a while. Make sure he can't accidently snag the fin on anything in the tank since he can't fold it in. Give him a little time and see if he bounces back. I'm not sure there is anything else you can do. I did this for my little guy & he recovered but he favors the fin, doesn't use it as much as the other one. He's perfectly fine, though.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote