Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #11 
ktstar23

Well, I did it...tonight, right after my last post, I went out to the pet store and bought a new 2.67 gallon (10L) tank, a heater, and a thermometer! (The tank came with rocks and another plant.) I know you're supposed to very gradually transfer bettas, but Horatio's old tank was just so small and cold that I knew I had to do it soon. It's a few hours later and he is in there now. The temperature is finally where it should be, he's explored the whole tank so far, and already seems a bit more active. He's mostly sticking around the bottom, but he's actually swimming around now instead of just limply lying there, and he's swimming into the walls of the tank less. This was definitely a good investment!

^ that's Horatio checkin' out his new digs. As I type he's actually hanging around the top of his tank, which he didn't used to do! I'm so glad I found this site! :D
ktstar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #12 
TaylorW

Welcome to the Forum!!

I love your new tank, and I think Horatio will be very happy in there! :) And good for you to do the right thing and research about your fish! Most people would have just left him in the betta cube, so kudos for you for giving your fish a great home! :)

Oh, I kinda skimmed the thread, but you did pick up a water conditioner right?
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #13 
wallywestisthebest333

That's a good tank! =] I love those kits! The shap eis so neat! :3 I wanna do an NPT with one of those! <3

Glad you and your boy are doing well with the new tank! =] Hope to hear more about how he perks up! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #14 
Busted

Happy to hear hes exploring around and being active.

Quote:
Oh, I kinda skimmed the thread, but you did pick up a water conditioner right?
surprised it wasn't said before.

Quote:
This was definitely a good investment!
Always is when your bettering your pets care
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #15 
ktstar23

Thanks guys! It was technically a goldfish tank from a goldfish starter kit, but I liked the size and colour, plus the fact that it came with the gravel and plant. (I'm just giving the goldfish food to someone else who has a goldfish. Not sure what to do with the goldfish conditioner. I'm guessing that it isn't suitable for bettas? Not to worry, though, I do have proper betta conditioner!) Also, the kit came with a mini filter system. Do you think it would be suitable to use for my betta tank?

Thanks for the support! I absolutely couldn't leave him in that cube for another day; I was worried about him fading altogether. I'm just glad he's warm now, and has room to swim as he pleases. I'm looking forward to seeing how he's behaving in 24 hours. :)
Old 12-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #16 
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktstar23 View Post
Thanks guys! It was technically a goldfish tank from a goldfish starter kit, but I liked the size and colour, plus the fact that it came with the gravel and plant. (I'm just giving the goldfish food to someone else who has a goldfish. Not sure what to do with the goldfish conditioner. I'm guessing that it isn't suitable for bettas? Not to worry, though, I do have proper betta conditioner!) Also, the kit came with a mini filter system. Do you think it would be suitable to use for my betta tank?

Thanks for the support! I absolutely couldn't leave him in that cube for another day; I was worried about him fading altogether. I'm just glad he's warm now, and has room to swim as he pleases. I'm looking forward to seeing how he's behaving in 24 hours. :)
The filter should be fine, depending on the flow rate of it. What type of filter is it?

Oh, give the goldfish conditioner to the person you give the food to
Old 12-21-2010, 01:31 AM   #17 
ktstar23

The package/manual says it's an Elite Mini Underwater Filter. I can't find the flow rate for it, though...and I know nothing about the use of filters! :P
Old 12-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #18 
Busted

Reading a few reviews, finding someone with 18 bettas o.O and 6 tanks with those in it, the flow rate they said was to high, but putting something in front of it helps. Few others say its useless and just sucks up the food and spits it back out. Only filters I have used are HOB(hang on back) and in-tank(air pump driven). But if you keep the water changes good, the filter shouldn't really be needed. I would try it out, If the water seemed calm keep it, if a current is bothering your betta, perhaps remove it.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:09 AM   #19 
ktstar23

Ok, good to know! Since I've had my betta for just two days, I haven't really gotten into a water changing routine yet, but after a couple of weeks I guess I'll see how it's looking and if I actually need a filter. :P Thanks!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 AM   #20 
Busted

I hope you don't mean waiting a couple of weeks before changing the water. xD Maybe my mind isn't think clear being its past 3am.