Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2010, 02:13 AM   #21 
wallywestisthebest333

Conditioner is conditioner regardless of the kind of fish (as long as it's meant for freshwater fish. :P) so you're good there. when you run out of conditioner buy a conditioner called Prime. I forget the company's name right now but Prime is a great water conditioner! =]

I hate that they sell those as goldfish starter kits. :/ Gold fish need at least 10 gallons, and they do better in groups too! If you add another goldfish you're supposed to add an additional 20 gallons (10 for the second fish and 10 for their combined waste, and then 10 per each fish after that)so an ideal tank would be 40 gallons with three gold fish.

I REALLY want a goldfish if you couldn't tell! XD

But back to my point I wish they'd sell those as Betta started kits instead! <3 They're perfect for betta beginners! <3 You can actually fit a real heater in there! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:14 AM   #22 
ktstar23

LOL, no. I know enough about keeping fish to know when to change the water...heck, even the crappy betta cube told me once a week! XD (From what I've gathered, for a 2.5g, one 50% change a week and one 100% change a week is needed?)

And yeah, it's silly! I saw someone say on another thread that just because something can survive in a small space doesn't mean it's actually good for it...you probably wouldn't keep a dog in a carrier its entire life to be raised! I like my tank a lot though. :)
ktstar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #23 
wallywestisthebest333

Yep that sounds great! =] As long as your boy doesn't have finrot or anyhting he should be good to go! =]
Old 12-21-2010, 02:17 AM   #24 
Busted

That'll do ;) so far I like this little filter:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752355 being air driven, a gang valve would work to lower it to the bare minimum of flowing.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #25 
wallywestisthebest333

I don't think petsmart links have been working lately. I'd just list the name of the filter and maybe a link to an Amazon.com listing instead. =]

I like the Whisper 3i filter. =] It's controlled by an airpump as well. =] Costs around $10 and an airpump is included. =]

I bought mine at petsmart. =]
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 AM   #26 
baylee767

I personally give my 2.5 gallon tank 2 100% waterchanges a week... One on wednesday and one on sunday. IMO If your going to do a water change on a small tank, you might as well clean it well. Congrats for actually researching Bettas and getting him a great tank! Your Betta will thank you for it! He could potentially live 6 or 7 years (not likely! But possible) In a larger tank with warm water. I hope he lives many years!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #27 
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
I don't think petsmart links have been working lately. I'd just list the name of the filter and maybe a link to an Amazon.com listing instead. =]

I like the Whisper 3i filter. =] It's controlled by an airpump as well. =] Costs around $10 and an airpump is included. =]

I bought mine at petsmart. =]
Thats the exact filter I linked to petsmart xD you like them to huh?
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #28 
ktstar23

Lol! Well, now I know it's definitely a good one. I'm a little short on money at the moment but I'll look for it after Christmas. :) I'm definitely glad that I've taken the time to give him a proper home! I didn't feel morally right leaving him in his cube. My friend's in a cube has survived for about three months, but her house is super warm...and I remember my cousin's only lived for about a year, even when she was diligent about cleaning the cube. So hopefully I'm extending his life!

And he definitely seems to be doing better 12 hours later. When I woke up, he was at the top of the tank instead of resting at the bottom like he always did in his cube. When he swims now, it's not JUST to get to the surface...it's more than that! His new favourite spot, though, seems to be the little area between the heater and a silk plant (even though the thermometer tells me the rest of the water is good)...lol.

Last edited by ktstar23; 12-21-2010 at 11:53 AM.
ktstar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #29 
sjones

It's the water changes that are most important to betta health, make sure the water is the same temperature when doing them, I just turn my tap to what feels like the same temp, fill the tank and then use a glass thermometer to measure the temp. If it's not right I dump the water and refill.. also be sure to use the water conditioner to take out the chlorine.
I have been doing water changes 2 times a week for the past 9 months and honestly am sick of it, it's really time consuming, so for xmas I am getting a ten gallon and splitting it. Wish I had started out that way, would have saved a lot of $$$.Good luck!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #30 
TaylorW

Yep, with water changes without the filter in a 2.5 gallon, 50% one change and one 100% change a week works, or 100% once every 3 days, depending on your preference! :)

I'm a clean freak when it comes to my tank and so I'm a 100% once every 3 days person. I used to clean it once every 2 days, and still do if the water looks gross! :P

If you want to use your filter, have you looked up the nitrogen cycle? Very useful!! :) http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote