Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #1 
baylee767

Unhappy I need plant help!

Okay so I just got some anarchis and java fern for my 1.75 and 2.5 gallon fish tank. I put a desk lamp next to both tanks, the 2.5 gallon tank got a 20 watt CFL light, and the 1.75 gallon got a 9 watt CFL light. I give both tanks roughly 8 hours of light a day.

But, my plants are dying! I don't add anything to the water (No fertilizers or plant chemicals), but I do put them in a seperate bowl of water (conditioned because IDK if it would harm the plants or not to not be conditioned) during water changes. The plants are all not that big, but I swear the one plant doing well is one of my java ferns. The one in the 2.5 gallon tank I swear has literally doubled in size in the two days since I've gotten it... How fast do java ferns grow? And how large do they get?

Also, why are my other plants dying? Most of them were already partially rotted when I got them because I don't think my LFS uses the right kind of lights. Do you think this has doomed them? One java fern in particular is doing terrible... It's floating arond and its leaves are half melted and there are brown spots on it... do you think it's because it's floating? The plant that's doing the best, my good java fern, is not floating, so maybe that's helpful. The Anarchis are also losing leaves and getting a few little brown spots on their stems. Today I removed a section out of the bottom of most of the Anarchis because there were no leaves.

Help! I need to know why my plants are dying! i really wanted to use them, but I'm afraid I'll have to remove them from my tanks because of rotting...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:57 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

What are the Kelvin ratings for your CFLs? White light doesn't work. You need Daylight (6,500 K[elvin] ) bulbs.

And often times plants will melt when you transfer them to different water conditions. They'll probably re-grow after a while. For now I;d trim most of the dead stuff off. =]

You might want to pick up a liquid fertilizer.

A water change should be sufficient to take care of the rotting bits of the plants. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:18 AM   #3 
baylee767

For some reason it doesn't say the kelvin rating on my lightbulbs... But one of them is one of those twisty lightbulbs (the 20 watt) I searched and searched but it just doesn't tell the kelvin rating! Does this mean my plants will be ever rotting because of water changes?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:27 AM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Did the box say white, soft white, or Daylight on it? These are also indications of Kelvin ratings although not in number form. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #5 
baylee767

Daylight flourescent (=