Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2010, 05:00 AM   #1 
FallenMessiah

Unhappy Noobs will believe anything...

New people getting into the fish hobby will only get stuff relating directly to the type of fish they get, like me, unless recommended by other hobbyists right?

My brother seems to think that tank cycling is a load of....well....he dont believe it, he's a fish hobbyist himself and hasnt lost a fish he says.

Im so noob at this i dont know what to believe =/
FallenMessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #2 
JKfish

Cycling makes sure ammonia ia converted to nitrites then nitrates. Nitrates are less lethal than the other two and build up slowly, and also you don't have to do anything to clean your tank apart from about 50% water changes weekly.

You don't need to cycle a tank if you either plant heavily enough that the plants get rid of ammonia, or if you are willing to do many water changes and 100% water changes. Honestly cycling is optional, though people who choose to cycle because it requires less work (for the most part)

Last edited by JKfish; 12-21-2010 at 08:51 AM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #3 
monroe0704

Typically if you "cycle" with a low number of hardy fish there will be no casualties because they are able to withstand the conversion of nitrite to nitrate. Even with little to no water changes! In the saltwater community you are encouraged to either cycle with live rock or damselfish because they will kick start the cycle and can tolerate the nitrite.

Of course as an aquarium hobbyist, we know it rarely goes as planned, so I'm always doing things on the safe side!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #4 
JKfish

No. You do NOT use fish for cycles, that is cruel, especially if you let thhem die. If you choose to cycle with fish in, you do daily water changes to make sure the ammonia doesn't build up enough to hurt or kill fish
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #5 
monroe0704

I've cycled with damselfish before and none have died during the cycle process... they don't even slow down. I also used platys to cycle my 55 gal, and again no casualties. I watch the chemical levels, but I've never really needed to interfere. It's whatever the owner is comfortable doing.
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-you can safely cycle a tank with fish provided that you are willing to make the needed water changes...the larger the tank the easier it is-
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
IMO/E-you can safely cycle a tank with fish provided that you are willing to make the needed water changes...the larger the tank the easier it is-
I agree. I wouldn't try it though, unless you know what you're doing.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #8 
gbose

cycling

.... so then the question is -- why do a cycle with fish in the tank? It's easier and faster without them
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #9 
CrankyFish84

It's easier on your back if you cycle w/ a cocktail shrimp ..or they even have this gravel from CaribSea
w/ bacteira/waste in it already for this purpose...I used this gravel in the sorority
and it cycled within a week (BUT I also seeded it w/ established media). The cocktail shrimp took about 2 weeks to complete in a 3 gallon. :)
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #10 
DormDrax

Yep it's me again with a question haha...

Ok I've had Drax in the 10gal for about oh... since the 11th with the Penguin 100 Filter with a small Bio-wheel.

Hey it was either that or keep Drax in that horrid vase for awhile!

Every few days I perform a 20% water change, add Epsom salt (About 2tsp's) and AQ salt (Also about 2-3tsp) every few days.

How long till I can stop worrying about the water killing him?

Plants?:
Several water plants 1 has an 'A' name that I had asked the Pet-Smart guy (Who actually I swear must be a member here since he's VERY helpful) and he just opened a plant tank and gave me a bunch of it... it's long can be planted or floated... almost looks fake with it's strange build.

1 Java Fern

and that Ancient Variegated Philodendrum Vine (Been two weeks and the submerged part of it is thriving more than the parts that are just rooted in the water).

Hmm... lets see if I got a pic...

I almost feel as if the plants are fighting... (No I'm not crazy). The Old vine is thriving, the Java Fern... seems the same but the long 'A' named plants well... the larger bunch on the right side seem to be browning around the bottom and both bunches seem to be getting covered in a thin thread like structure covered with TEENY TINY beads or something weird. I even tried using my better camera but they DO NOT show up.

Last edited by DormDrax; 12-23-2010 at 11:15 PM.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote