Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #1 
small fry

Stocking my 5g

I have got a new 5g. It was a beginer setup (not that I am a beginer), with a carbon-power filter, incadesent hood, and of course the 5g tank. I am wondering if I should get 1 betta, 2 betta, or 3 guppies.

For bettas, I love HMs but I can't get 1 til the end of this winter.. Would a HM male live happily in a 1.5g tank? I want to put it in the 5g, but I don't want to wait 5 months while the tank is perfect.

I like guppies, my friend has way too many in his 55g. Maybe I can pick out some free males. I know this is a betta site, but does anybody else love guppies?

I could put a VT male in there and let him live there 'til I get a HM. Then I can move the VT in the 1.5g.

Just need some help makeing this decision.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I am a big guppy fan myself and have hundreds of them in two of my big planted tanks and they reproduce like mad...lol......and my Bettas enjoy the fry and free range feed on them in my big tanks.....it help to control the population some.....

Personally, I don't think a 5g is big enough to support both guppies and a Betta....either or.....either 3 male guppies or 1 adult Betta.....your 1.5g will be fine for your Betta IMO/E provided that you make the needed water changes...but that goes for any tank size.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #3 
small fry

I meant betta or guppy, not in the same tank.

Is 1.5g enough space for a full-grown male HM betta? I want to get one this spring.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-yes, 1.5g is big enough, however, you may not want to add any filtration due to the size and water flow that can cause fin issues-I would make at the very least 2-100% a week water changes and remove any uneaten food after feeding.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #5 
small fry

Right now I have GS in 1 of the 1.5s. Along with some ramshorns I am trying to breed (I want to get an assassin snail, their favorite food is ramshorn, like an oscar to a minnow). Tony had some fin issues when I had him in the 1.5g, but he is in an un-filtered 2g hex, now. He is building bubble nest again (first time since he came out of the bowl).

I want to make the 5g a breeding tank for the ramshorns along with guppies OR a betta, if that would work. Does anyone know if the assassin snail would attack the betta/guppies and vise versa? I have some play sand I want to use for substrate. The assassin snails like to burrow, so I read.

If anyone has any tips or knowledge of assassin snails, please let me know. Thanks!