Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #1 
fav74

Maybe it is nothing but I am not sure

I have had the fish for a few weeks now and everything seems to be going well. This morning I noticed a very thin line on the outer edge of his gill shield, not sure on terminology, seems to be really dark almost black. He is extremely active and when he is flared his gills are nice and pink colored. I also noticed that a couple of darker lines on his fins but when I put a mirror against his aquarium and he flared these and the lines were actually a rich purple color which is part of his coloring. I do a 50% water change around every 4 days and the aquarium is filtered. As far as feeding we rotate 2 different pellets twice a day and once maybe twice a week rehydrated freeze-dried bloodworms. Tried to feed frozen plankton with no luck and yes it was thawed and actually removed them and cut them into smaller pieces they seemed a little large for him. We had one green algae outbreak which I changed approximately >90% of the water replaced with treated water and cleaned the filter with separate treated water. The algae problem seemed to manifest itself within an hour or two and the above was performed when noticed.

Was wondering about the gill shield? I can get long winded at times.
Tried to take pic of the line no luck.
fav74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If he is otherwise acting his normal self, no appetite changes etc.... I wouldn't worry too much and just keep an eye out for more changes in the area and/or behavior changes...it can't hurt to add and extra water only change on occasion.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #3 
fav74

Thanks! He is his normal active self and eating well. His colors seem to be becoming darker or richer i guess. Not sure if this is him getting older or from good care. I would like to think it is because of the latter. So this line could be part of that i wasn't sure.
fav74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like the result of good care and a thriving, happy Betta.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote