Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #1 
crowntail lover

Unhappy Meds for Fin Rot

I am so frustrated! I have tried everything I know of to treat this issue (aqua salt+clean water, Melafix, Fish Protector, Mardel 1.. Nothing has helped.. It has only gotton worse.
note: story behind this is under the thread -Betta took a Fall- also. white spots are on the outside of bowl not on the betta
here is a pic
Name:  fin rot 004.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  116.7 KB

Last edited by crowntail lover; 12-21-2010 at 06:24 PM.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #2 
crowntail lover

Anyone? I dont know what to do about this..? He is being treated with everything I mentioned...
Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

Anyone?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #4 
JKfish

I might be wrong, but that looks a lot like tail biting, not fin rot... is there anything that might be shredding his tail? A filter maybe or other tankmates? I remember when I had tailbiting boys, they'd first start biting around the rays, giving themselves psuedo crowntail appearances, then after a while they'd even chomp those off.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #5 
crowntail lover

He is in the middle of treatment in a quar. bowl. You might want to check my thread Betta took a Fall... It will tell you everything about what is going on.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #6 
JKfish

You said this started after the fall, and that it is presumed he has broken his pectoral fin, right? I still think it's tail biting. He is probably stressed, and having a difficult time swimming with heavy finnage and a broken fin, so in this case chomping off his tail makes sense. Besides, you are keeping him in very clean water, and I don't see how finrot would develop so suddenly, even after a fall.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #7 
crowntail lover

The thing is. I haven't seen him biting his tail at all. And the Fish Protector helps calme the fish in stressful situations and helps re build the slim coat. Tail biting is actually in the directions provided.. So I'm pretty much stumped with this.. Also. The fins have a brownish darker color on the ends which makes me think fin rot. But when I came home earlier today there was strands of his fins at the bottom of the bowl...? Soo? Say he is tail biting.. How can I help that?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #8 
JKfish

I never, ever, ever saw any of my boys tail bite, but it happened, and every now and again I'd find a chunk of tail on the floor. This could be a bit of both, seeing as the open wounds can get infected.

If he's tail biting, finish up medicating him, sometimes bettas will tailbite when medicated or other reasons. See if that helps, just keep his water clean. After he fell, you said you started medicating him. Did this tail biting/fin rot occur before or after you started adding things to his tank?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #9 
crowntail lover

He did have a little outer edging of a lighter brown color on his tail.. like you see in the pic, but it wasnt near as bad as that.
And he is swimming around a bit more and is eating..The only thing that im actually treating is his fins and his pectoral..another thing... The "fin rot" is now on his pectoral fins.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #10 
Adastra

Agreed with JKfish, I think this fish is also tail biting. People seem to think that bacteria has the ability to consume flesh extremely quickly, but it actually takes quite awhile--depending on temperature and the strength of the fish--for microscopic bacteria to eat away fin tissue. If the tail is long one day and short the next, the only conclusion that can be drawn is physical trauma to the tail. Given the pattern of the tail loss, tail biting is the most obvious culprit.

He is very stressed out, give him time in clean water in stable, dim, quiet, current-free conditions with lots of places to hide. He may stop. A high protein diet fed in small amounts throughout the day also seems to give these fish a distraction from biting themselves. The extra protein will help him fight infection and build new fin tissue.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote