Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #1 
baylee767

Unhappy I feel terrible )=

Velvet is stuck on the surface because SBD just happened... he keeps on desperatly trying to swim down and giving up and laying on his side at the top of the water I have to feed him some deshelled boiled pea because he also has internal parasites but he wont eat I don't even know how he got SBD he eats 2 pellets a day... maybe he's been taking chomps out of his new plants and it's my fault for bringing them in there

I feel soo bad right now because this is probably my fault. I don't want Velvet to die when I adopted him so I could save him... I've never seen him with so little personality and energy, just hopelessly on his side. He better not die on me, or I don't think I can handle the guilt. I hope he pulls through.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Are you sure he has internal parasites? You might want to lower the water level for him so it will be easier to get from the top to the bottom. It's not your fault. These things happen sometimes, no matter how well we take care of our fish. I hope he gets better soon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Don't blame yourself...these things can happen...

You can do a Epsom salt 1tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt) treatment and see if this will help him

I like to pre-mix my treatment water in a 1gal jug (I use a clean milk jug)to make correct dosage and the needed daily water changes easier-If you have any tannins to add this can also help-I use naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves (10-12 crushed per gallon of treatment water) but Indian almond leaf will work too-the longer it steep the darker it will become and the better it is for treatment-mine gets o dark you can't see the fish sometimes-be sure to add dechlorinator to the pre mixed treatment water if you normally use it

Best to transfer him to a small QT container that can be floated in a heated tank for treatment, cover it with plastic veggie wrap to keep the air warm and humid and attach to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink

Use this pre-mixed water for the 100% daily water changes for 10 days-the epson salt will help with any swelling in the duct and work as a laxative-it also has a mild antibacterial/fungal effect
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #4 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Are you sure he has internal parasites? You might want to lower the water level for him so it will be easier to get from the top to the bottom. It's not your fault. These things happen sometimes, no matter how well we take care of our fish. I hope he gets better soon.
I've already checked in on Betta fish diseases and emergencys... Velvet either has internal parasites or a deadly bloat where I'd have to euthanize him... I'm hoping it's the parasites, and it most likely is.

OFL: Thanks for the advice, but I don't own espom salt and my dad just can't stand taking me to buy stuff... I'm just ganna have to fast Velvet and hopefully his SBD will disappear and then I can cure his parasites.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #5 
baylee767

Angry

Now I'm angry My dad just got home and he said that he'd look at my fish. Well, Velvet was exhausted from struggling and just laying at the top of the water propped against the side of his tank. My dad looks and says "What are you talking about? He's just fine. Stop trying to drain me of money every time you see the slightest problem with that fish."

GRRRRRR... that's all he cares about is money!!!!!!!! He didn't notice the giant stomach... That Velvet was barely moving... And that when He did swim he had to use his tail to propel himself! He also didn't notice the poop that was stuck, but I told my dad about it (He knows that's not a good sign) And he ignored me! EVERYTHING is about money with him...

Poor Velvet... hopefully that one bite of pea he ate and fasting will cure him...
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #6 
Panthera

I know what your going through Baylee :( My girl Lumen had SBD when I got her about a week and a half ago. I kept her in a heated 1 gallon shoe box with 1tsp of epsom salt daily for 4 days and then gave her a 1 pea. Well now she's Alpha of a sorority, barely a week later. They can recover from SBD if its a constipation issue and not a traumatic one or an injury.

But now Sadira has SBD and I have no idea why, I have QT'd her and given her epsom salt, but I have no peas. I hope she can heal, although she looks way worse then Lumen did, and isn't moving at all :( Good luck!
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Now I'm angry My dad just got home and he said that he'd look at my fish. Well, Velvet was exhausted from struggling and just laying at the top of the water propped against the side of his tank. My dad looks and says "What are you talking about? He's just fine. Stop trying to drain me of money every time you see the slightest problem with that fish."

GRRRRRR... that's all he cares about is money!!!!!!!! He didn't notice the giant stomach... That Velvet was barely moving... And that when He did swim he had to use his tail to propel himself! He also didn't notice the poop that was stuck, but I told my dad about it (He knows that's not a good sign) And he ignored me! EVERYTHING is about money with him...

Poor Velvet... hopefully that one bite of pea he ate and fasting will cure him...
Wow. My parents complain at times too but I make them spend the money. I only use the best products for my fish. This makes me angry...it's just money!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #8 
baylee767

I know this is kinda random but.... can males have that white dot that females have (can't remember what it's called)? because Velvet has a white dot where a female can have one and he isn't bisexual (He is VERY aggressive towards his reflection and has huge fins and is a very bright color...) Just wondering...
Old 12-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Yes they can! Only to make us more confused! Trust me when you have a tank full of bettas you have no idea how confusing it gets.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #10 
baylee767

He's much worse today! He has completely lost the ability to stay upright and can't go more than a centimeter down! Why would he be worse when all I fed him yesterday was a small pellet sized chunk of pea?