Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #1 
TRISHIESfishie

Pinhole size hole in King's fin

King is his name not his size (he is pretty big though, and older). He has a approx a pin hole size tear in the almost exact middle of his anal fin. I think I know how it happened. He was playing on top of a plastic plant and I noticed a tiny, tiny piece if something that was his color. I took the plant out over a week ago.

His parameters are normal.
He eats pellets x2am. x1 noon, x2pm (maybe an extra now and then for a treat). He has one day of fasting (Monday).
He has a filter.
He has a heater (temp 75-78).
Tank size....
um he has a unique situation. He gets tired swimming around his cylinder 3 gal. He mostly lives in a rectangle critter keeper (approx 9in long, 4inch wide, and 6inch deep). Ya I know it's small but he is the happiest and most active in it. He gets excercise in his large tank atleast every other day. He swims and plays for a few hours and when he starts to tire, I move him back to his apartment tank. The apt. tank is inside the 3 gal. tank so it's heated and when he is in the 3 gal tank it's like a labrynth for him.
In his apartment tank he has several plastic plants (not the ripper, took that out) and some smooth stones. In his 3 gal. he has several of the same plants, smooth stones, his cave (again smooth) and his apartment tank, filter and heater.

Oh water changes, I change the apartment tank 100% every other day, and the 3 gals, 40-75% 2x a week. He is due for a 100% water change Sunday and I am thinking of completely submerging his apartment tank (at mid level). Right now the water line is 2 inches below the outside if the apartment tank, and 1 inch below in the inside of the tank. I don't want him to hurt himself trying to get from one to the other.

If he needs salt, can I use epson salt? I would prefer not to feed him blood worms, I am paranoid about parasites. His behavior is happy and normal. Will the hole repair itself even in the middle of the fin? I tried to get a pic of the tear, but it doesn't show in the pics. Sorry so wordy. I tried to include everything to save time.
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Since you caught it early and on top of things-usually clean water from some daily water change and time will do the job...along with a good staple diet he should heal up in no time....it may take a week or two and sometimes longer depending on his age...keep an eye on it and I know you will and if it looks to be getting bigger or changes then Epsom salt or aquarium salt treatment may be needed...keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #3 
TRISHIESfishie

thanks so much!! I guess I will be waiting to submerge his apartment LOL since its easier the change the keeper than the tank.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #4 
fishman12

Same thing happened to my betta. I did a water change and it just cleared up.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #5 
TRISHIESfishie

His hole is gone. It healed so quickly it made me wonder was it really ever there.........
but yeah it was.

OH I also submerged his apartment tank! So now he can swim freely in the 3 gal and when he gets tired he can (hopefully he will) swim into the apt. tank to rest instead of behind the filter. He has swum inide the apt. tank 3 times and rested for a few minutes and swam back out!