Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #21 
MrVampire181

Leave the lights on. That's why the nest was gone....he didn't get to work on it in the dark.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:15 AM   #22 
MadMay

Well Im a late riser so i dont wake up till about 10 or 11am. By then there is enough natural light from the window that he works on his nest...Anyway I have been keeping the aqaurium light of and the room light on. His nest is very large now and Mneme has approached several times but just keeps swimming away. So hopefully tomorrow.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #23 
anglnarnld

*Crossing Fingers*
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:55 AM   #24 
MadMay

Well I think its going to be a bust guys. The breeding tank has lots of eggs on the bottom, the female has quite eating them only because she is full. Dion dosnt give them a second glance.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:25 AM   #25 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
IMO pet store bettas are over stock-rejects, at least the modern tail types.

Drax isn't a reject...
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #26 
Creat

That happened to me the first time the daddy had no idea what to do after the eggs were layed.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #27 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sorry about your spawn. Hopefully they'll do better next time.

I breed in dark colored tubs without lights nor filters. In fact I often cover my tubs, just allowing enough light so my plants won't die. A good father will always maintain his nest/eggs whether dark or light. They are less active during the night and may neglect their spawns, but not for long. That's why (IMO) they need to be in full health to spawn.

On your next attempt, make sure (specially) the male is in good health - very active, as if tireless. Don't worry about the nest because some males are reluctant to make them. If he neglects his spawn again, you can brand him a bad father and try alternative methods.

@DormDrax: I'm sorry if I have offended you and anyone else with my remark. But sadly it's a fact that breeders would keep their best results and sell overstock/rejects. As a side note; I too work with rejects and work my way through to improve them.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #28 
MadMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Sorry about your spawn. Hopefully they'll do better next time.

I breed in dark colored tubs without lights nor filters. In fact I often cover my tubs, just allowing enough light so my plants won't die. A good father will always maintain his nest/eggs whether dark or light. They are less active during the night and may neglect their spawns, but not for long. That's why (IMO) they need to be in full health to spawn.

On your next attempt, make sure (specially) the male is in good health - very active, as if tireless. Don't worry about the nest because some males are reluctant to make them. If he neglects his spawn again, you can brand him a bad father and try alternative methods.

@DormDrax: I'm sorry if I have offended you and anyone else with my remark. But sadly it's a fact that breeders would keep their best results and sell overstock/rejects. As a side note; I too work with rejects and work my way through to improve them.
I think I will try this method next time, I tried keeping the tank dark I had a towel wrapped around all but the front side to help. I ordered a hm female from petco so she should come in, in about a week or so. I dont really like mixing tail types so this way I can incorparate them into my show spawns. :D
Old 12-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #29 
MrVampire181

I've heard bad things about PetCo's online selling. Please share your expierience when she arrives.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #30 
anglnarnld

Please tell me because I would like to know too.
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote