Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #11 
Alex09

Just put them where the roots are. Do keep in mind that when you bunch plants, the leaves will be overlapping each other. The leaves on the top will be blocking light from the lower leaves. this may cause the lower leaves to suffer and melt off. I noticed this happened when I kept Hygro's bunched together.

I think your tank will be ok with that much amount of light. CFL's are less effective than the standard tubes. If it is too much light you will notice Alage, and dying plants (too much light cause plants to grow fast - there may not be enough co2 & nutrients to sustain this growth spurt so the plants will die). If this is the case you wil either A) have to lower the light; or B) add c02 and ferts to your tank. But like I said I think 40 watts of CFL will be ok. Or you can also get 2 lamps and put in a 15-20w cfl in each. That will help spread the light better. Thats what I would do but my desk can only accomodate one lamp...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #12 
baylee767

Since it's a 10g it'll have a hood so there will be no need for a lamp (=

I think I'll buy 2 or 3 swords and place them a couple of inches apart. like where the leaves almost touch, but not quite. like...

v v v instead of vvv or wv (note, the v's and w's represent the sword plants)

I'll be getting a timer for the light. How about 10 o'clock to 6 o'clock? Or, if it needs to be on longer, 9 o'clock to 7 o'clock? I don't want a bacterial bloom (obviously), so how many hours should I keep it on? Alex09: Thanks for giving me so much information!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #13 
Alex09

8-10 hours of light is good. Doesn't matter when. I like to turn mine on in the afternoon as I like having my tank lighted during the night. My light goes off at 8PM.

Will your hood have 2 sockets to accommodate 2 CFL bulbs? If so, i would put a 13-15w bulb in each. I hear this is a good combination for a 10 gal.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #14 
baylee767

okay (=

That answers the question on another thread I made. Because I just got a 10 gallon today (YES!) and it says to put bulbs in that are "No more than 15 watts" And yes it does have 2 circets. I can't fit the swirly lights in, though. I need the get more slender shaped lightbulbs because there is a plastic cover that only fits slender lightbulbs over the circet.

My dad probably wont take me to my LFS's for a few more days... maybe a week =/ So I probably can't get the bulbs for awhile....

Which would look better in a planted tank... Natural colored gravel or black?
Old 12-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #15 
LucyLoofa

From what I've seen black gravel looks great when in a tank with plants that are a lighter value of green while brown/lightbrown natural gravel looks good in a tank with darker value to medium value green plants. (contrast and whatnot.)
I would also suggest these: http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...ustralis01.htm
The growth and color change depending on the amount of light given giving the plant a personality of it's own.
Plants with personality compliment fish with personality and looks really nice compared to a tank with plants that just seem stuck there statically without any feeling.
Plus since you'll have a lot of light they'll probably hug the bottom of the tank making a nice looking foreground/carpet plant, depending on how much you want to prune.
I can't wait to see your progress. :)
You should start a thread with pictures from beginning to end!
It would be so much fun, and I'm sure everyone would like to see how things work out for your sorority.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #16 
baylee767

I think I will make a log... as soon as I start getting the stuff...

I'm going to work REALLY hard on this tank and making it look amazing. I'll take my time choosing which elements would best suit it, carefully place my plants and ornaments, and try to choose the best and most healthy females. If I got an extra $100, all of my females would come off of aquabid... But being 13 I'm kinda poor so I'll have to settle with petstore Bettas.

I hope this tank gets PERFECT. Unfortunatly I only have $110 to spend on it. But I've seen some beautiful sororities built on the same budget that I have.

Maybe I'll have to go without the small marimo ball covered driftwood because of my budget. It's only a 3 to 1 inch difference... IDK which would look best in a 10 gal? Or do you think the driftwood is a bit small... even the large is only 7 inches...

That's all I can think of for the moment. I need a perfect tank lol.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #17 
Alex09

Substrate is all up to you. It depends on your personal taste I guess. for example, Some people like rainbow colored gravel but I would sooner die that have that in my tank lol.

For my gravel I couldnt make up my mind between black or natural. I ended up getting 2 bags of natural covered gravel, 1 bag of black gravel, and mixing it up. Each bag was 5lbs. I like it. IMO my tank's substrate would look to light with just natural gravel, but too dark with black gravel. See my threads if you are interested in pics.

Last edited by Alex09; 12-25-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #18 
baylee767

Are compact flourescents good for plants?

Sorry I know hardly anything about lights... so if the answer's obvious whoops. I ask this because I'm pretty sure it's the only flourescent my tank takes (I think) Because the plastic cover that's supposed to cover the lights says "Type Tubular or Compact Flourescent (CF) Use lamps rated no more than 15 watts. " Is CF The same as CFL? (Which is good for plants... I think....)

EDIT: Lol nevermind.... THe answer was obvious lol it's good for the plants (As everyone but me knows)

Last edited by baylee767; 12-25-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #19 
Alex09

CFL = Compact Florescent Light
Just get something in the 6500k range. Thats what plants absorb best.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #20 
LucyLoofa

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Are compact flourescents good for plants?

Sorry I know hardly anything about lights... so if the answer's obvious whoops. I ask this because I'm pretty sure it's the only flourescent my tank takes (I think) Because the plastic cover that's supposed to cover the lights says "Type Tubular or Compact Flourescent (CF) Use lamps rated no more than 15 watts. " Is CF The same as CFL? (Which is good for plants... I think....)

EDIT: Lol nevermind.... THe answer was obvious lol it's good for the plants (As everyone but me knows)
Definitely not a stupid question.
With so many acronyms today it's easy to become confused. (i seriously hate those things. i much prefer to type things out myself. haha but they do save a whole lot of time!)

I'm glad you're getting things straightened out. I hope your tank comes together nicely.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote