Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #31 
baylee767

Thanks! I think I'll rubberband it to a large rock and bury the rock. Once the water isn't smelly and cloudy in my tank, that is (cycling).
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #32 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Thanks! I think I'll rubberband it to a large rock and bury the rock. Once the water isn't smelly and cloudy in my tank, that is (cycling).
Make sure to leave the rhizome exposed!
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #33 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Make sure to leave the rhizome exposed!
Of course. I'm going to bury the rock so that you can't just barely see it, so maybe I'll make the top a milimeter under the gravel lol
Old 12-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #34 
baylee767

I just found a beautiful carpet plant! Look at this...

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...abytears15.htm

Okay now I WANT it!!!! Lol. How tall does it get, and how do I shorten it? (I want it to stay a couple inches tall, max) Does this plant need any special supplies? Any special care instructions? And it's sold with 15 stems. How large an area is that?

EDIT: Another question. How do you replant it? I think it's like anarchis in the sense that you cut it in half once it grows too large and put a plant weight on it. It looks REALLY hard to put a plant weight on all those stems though...

Last edited by baylee767; 12-27-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #35 
baylee767

I really like the "baby tears" for a carpet plant. I found a dwarf version that gets .25 inches tall! But I also found out about fox tails... here are the fox tails:

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...VER-gfox10.htm

And here's the carpeting plant:

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...ides-HCPTD.htm

Which should I get? I'm super low on funds so I can only get one. Remember I'm getting that huge java fern mat... a couple of anarchis stems.... and 3 of those swords. This tank needs some heavy planting since in the sorority I'm only puting in 2 - 4 ornaments. So do I need to fill up more space and go with the fox tails or can I work on making it look better with the carpet plant?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #36 
LucyLoofa

I would go with the foxtail myself because it would provide a better place than the carpet plant that won't proved any cover or distraction for your fish.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #37 
baylee767

Yah I agree. I love the bunched plants and the foxtails provide lots of cover and look great because they're so thick and green. The reason I love these bunched plants so much is that you just bury part of their stem and then they grow fast so you get to pinch them in half and start a new bundle so even if you only start off with one or two bunched plants your tank will become heavily planted in a couple of months.

So even if the plants I ordered don't take up enough room the bunched plants will fill it in quickly. So my current plant list:

1 X huge java fern mat

3 X some sword... forgot the name lol

2 X anarchis

2 X foxtail "green"

1 X small java fern (came from Neons tank lol)

I think this will fill in the tank nicely. Any advice on the foxtail "green"?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #38 
baylee767

I have another question. I will eventually get dwarf baby tears because they look so cool.

Do they need any co2 or fertilizers? And can they grow in 30 watts, 6500ks CFL light in my 10 gal? And how do I plant it (I want it to spread)? Please answer I really want to get it eventually and I need to know about it!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #39 
Alex09

Not sure about the baby tears. I hear it can be difficult for some people. Besides moss, most people can only grow carpet plants in high tech (high light, pressurized co2, tons of ferts) or soil based NPT tanks. Have you tried looking into making a moss carpet instead? it will be much less demanding.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #40 
baylee767

I will now. Lol thanks. How about this:

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...t-riccia23.htm

So how do I tie it down? According to the website owner it works as a great carpet when tied down. And does this need anything? Since it's medium lighting I'm guessing I don't need any fertilizers or anything, but you never know. Is it something you can use to feed shrimps? Will female Bettas pick at it? Thanks!