Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #41 
baylee767

Okay I can now officially handle high light plants. I have 2.8 watts per gallon because I just put in a total of 28 CFL watts. IDK the kelvin rating, but it's one of the swirly lights and those always have the appropriate rating. My dad bought it and didn't check for the k's... at least I don't have to spend money lol.

I REALLY want those dwarf baby tears. With me now having a high light tank, can I handle them? I've heard many people can keep them without co2 and fertilizers. I want my tank so that you can hardly see the gravel from all the plants Lol. I'm going to eventually be throwing out lots of those bunched plants... My lighting is Waaay higher than I expected... I mean look at this thing! (Quick unrelated to plant question. Will this light heat my tank up????)
Attached Images

baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #42 
LucyLoofa

Soil always helps in aquariums such as this. Especially if you're wanting a carpet plant.
I just bought a huge bag of soil myself 2 days ago.
It was 4.50 tax included. (original price was 3.99 i think)
And if you do get soil be sure to get some snails as well to help aerate the soil.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #43 
Alex09

Well you should try to find what the k rating of those bulbs are. Check the base of the bulbs they are covered in tiny print and usually say so right there. Hardy low light plants (like java fern& anubias) and weeds (anacharis, hornwort, and wisteria) wont care, but other plants probably will. This is because plants can have a hard time absorbing light that is not in the correct color spectrum. If the k rating is way off, (say around 3000k) then you may as well have a low light tank for all the good it will do. So long as its between 5000k and 10000k you should be fine. Unlike plants, algae can absorb practically any light so be prepared for an algae bloom - especially with the brightness you have. I know my 10 gal tank got overrun with algae with a single 26 watt bulb. All I had to do to fix it was to raise the bulb several inches higher. This was easy for me because My tank is open top and is lighted using a gooseneck desk lamp. If algae problems DO occur you will have to get new bulbs (lower watts), OR add co2 and ferts. Does the light look yellow-ish or blue-ish? How long are you going to leave the light on per day?

If you want to get the dwarf baby tears go ahead and get them. The worst that could happen is that they will die. lol. If you get them make sure that there will be no plants above them which will block out light.I do suggest however you stick with proven hardy plants if this is going to be your first planted tank... You dont want to be overwhelmed.

Last edited by Alex09; 12-30-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #44 
LucyLoofa

^
+1
I agree. You should probably stick with plants that are easier for beginners.
I was thinking about the bdts too. but decided creeping jenny and bacopa would look fine.
With as much light as you have the bacopa will stay short.
Just make sure you have some floaters and plenty of stems to suck up the nitrate.
And yes, you must make sure you light is within a range that the plants can absorb.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #45 
baylee767

Of course Lol. I wasn't planning on getting the dwarf baby tears for a couple of months.

Unfortunatly I'm just going to have to work overtime because the light is stuck right over the tank. I'm ready to battle it, though. I got an algae scraper. I'll use it to scrape up the glass (If it gets bad enough, daily) And maybe even the decorations. I'll be frequently using the gravel vac, so the algae that forms on the gravel will get sucked up. I might get some shrimp, which eat algae off of plants. Not a snail, I've heard that they are super messy.

I hope I can fight off the algae Lol.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #46 
baylee767

nooooo it's 5000 k's. grrrr. But plants can still survive in that....