Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #1 
Duncan13

Unhappy Poor Bird ;(

When I was in the pet market today (in Shanghai) looking for a new filter for my goldfish tank, I stopped by to look at the birds. In the pet markets in Shanghai, they always keep their animals cramped up in TINY containers. They have like 40 hamsters in one single plastic tub and like 10 finches in 1 cage! The environments the animals are in are also WAY worse than in PetSmart or PetCo. There is litter everywhere, and it smells horrible. At the market, their idea of a cage is 10 times smaller than what a cage should be. The bettas there seem LUCKY to have their own cup compared to the other animals. Anyway, I was walking down the rows of cages when I see this little budgie lying on the floor of the cage. About 5 lovebirds were pecking at it. Then I saw it move! Poor thing! It was bloody and helpless and the lovebirds were killing it. So I rushed to the store owner. I got her attention and pointed to the cage. So she comes over to the cage (which is on top of a bunch of other bird cages) and I point to the bird. She finally realizes what is happening. She pulls a pair of budgies out of the cage and puts them into the cage below it. Then she takes out the badly injured budgie. I thought she was going to isolate it. But then, she takes it, and THROWS in the trash can! The poor thing was still moving. So then she goes back in the store. After she goes in, I rush to the trash can and grab the bird out. The budgies two legs were pulled off, only little stubs remained. Its feathers were mostly missing, and it was covered with blood. But the head was the worst. The budgies eyes blood covered and closed. Its beak, was torn off and only the edges of the beak remained. Its mouth was so bloody, it was soo horrible. Yet the poor bird was still moving. I didn't know what to do with it. I knew that it wouldn't survive, but I wanted it to die peacefully. So I brought it to a store that we go to often. The lady there specializes in selling exotic and expensive turtles. I give it to her, and she finds a box with soft bedding for it. Then I left. I cannot express my disgust at the people at the pet market. They have no hearts, and all they care about is money. Its not the other bird's fault that the budgie ended up that way. The birds were WAY to crowded! I really want to tell these people how badly they treat their pets, but I can't!

Last edited by Duncan13; 12-22-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #2 
HayrideHaunter

poor bird =(((...you do NOT belong working in a pet store if you don't have the utmost compassion for animals.
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #3 
fishman12

oh my gosh! That's horrible! Poor bird. May it rest in peace. :(
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #4 
fleetfish

Words fail me. I feel sorry for the lovebirds who were in there in the first place, since they must have been starving. And that poor budgie ....

I once found an injured sparrow in a parking lot, cupped her in my hands and took her to a quiet, shady spot. She had been on the hot pavement for hours and was barely alive. When I was finished shopping I went to check on her and she was still alive, a little stronger. I left her to her fate with a heavy heart. I hope that her chances were good and she has lived to see a new day. Every once in awhile I think about her since she reminds me that animals no matter how big or little are still living beings.

I just wish some people would see that. :(
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #5 
Duncan13

HayrideHaunter: I cannot agree more! Almost nobody there even likes animals! A long time ago I even saw a girl with two bettas, and she put them together on purpose to watch them fight!!!!! The people there just care about their money. Later that day, a lady tried to sell me a half dead cat for 60 RMB (about $10).

Fleetfish: Good job for helping that sparrow! I hope it survived :)
Old 12-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #6 
HayrideHaunter

@Duncan: OMG those poor bettas!!!!!! I'm curious, whats RMB/where are you from?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #7 
Duncan13

HayrideHaunter: I am from Canada, but we had to move to China a few years ago cause of my dad's job. We are moving back in 2 years :D. RMB is the currency for China, and I live in Shanghai right now, its a really big city, sorta like NY.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #8 
HayrideHaunter

@Duncan: oh wow, cool! I'm from NY but I've never been to the city =P...anywho thats kinda cool.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:23 AM   #9 
Duncan13

Shanghai is really interesting! And the stuff is so cheap! You can get a 10 gallon tank for as cheap as 40 RMB ($7-8)
Old 12-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #10 
tsoto80

A long time ago I seen an injured bird laying in street and a crow was trying to eat it. My ex and I took it to humane society emergency hospital (for wild animals) to see if they could help it later on when I called they said there was nothing they could do for the bird and it needed surgery and they did not want to perform it on a 50/50 chance of survival. I think they did not want to do it cause I was not able to donate money. I still think about the poor lil guy
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote