Betta Fish Forum banner

What is this!?

836 views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  JaspersANGEL 
#1 ·
This is driving me crazy, it's never harmed my fish cause I endured it for some time now but It's just disgusting.

It does not sit well with me and having spotless tanks, the clean freak I am thoroughly repulsed.

What is this? It's all over Romad's tank, I mostly see it on the silk plants he has..do silk plant's ever go bad?
I have some in my other tankx too but their all hidden in the gravel or circulating cause of the flow of the filter's.

I don't mind it cause I can't see it, but Romad's tank is full of them like I said.

Now for what I think it could be:
1. small pieces of sponge shedding (but Romad's filter broke a while back and he's now filter less, waiting till Christmas too see if I get a new one like I asked)
2. it look's like snail poo a bit (unless there's a new specie's of snail, invisible snail *lol*)
3. Romad has terrible diarrhea *hehehe*

Any idea on what this is and if I can get rid of it?
If it's good bacteria looking for a perch, since I have no filter yet, I'll leave them be.

Romad's tank:
Red Orange Petal Yellow Close-up

Red Yellow Orange Macro photography Flower

See less See more
#3 ·
u think?
What I heard from algae is it stick's to stuff. This floats off when I disturb the water.

Oh forgot to add (well this idea came from u fishman12, I have 2 marimo moss ball's in each of my tankx. Are they moss ball poo? *lol*)

#4 ·
It might be seeds from the moss ballls or just residue from the moss balls. You should definitely do a water change and maybe move your betta to a different tank. It could be something from the silk plants like you said.

#5 ·
They come back after each water change ( I mean I syphon some out, but more appear after).

And y should I move my Betta?
Are they harmful?

#6 ·
If it is from the plants, it's really a shame because I really liked those plants.

#7 ·
No one know's what it is...? Ah ok well my fish are still healthy so I guess it's not harmful.

#10 ·
I did some research, it does look a bit like diatoms.
What causes them? And what exactly are they?

#11 ·
Diatoms are a type of algae. They are common in new tanks. Especially glass ones I think. They are harmless to fish. Some types of fish actually eat them. I had lots of them in my 10 gal when I first set it up. They went away on their own after 3 months or so.

#12 ·
... those actually look like the little buggers that I just noticed growing on my Live plants... little white specs.
Hmm are there little threads hanging from your plants as well? Thats what I see on mine but it can't be Drax's poop... >.> I've seen his poop.

#13 ·
Hey Jasper, I think that it may be signs of the water quality lowering. How long ago has it been since you cycled your tank? When was the last water change? Do you tend to let the food fall to the bottom of the tank and sit there and also do you ever clean the bottom of the tank i.e. gravel cleaner, etc? And like Alex said they are mostly harmless and used actually in studies to determine water quality. Fry of any kind and fish will eat it as well

#14 ·
Yea I read that, it is caused by lack of light *lol* funny eh?
But my tankx aren't new, well Jet's is a few month's old but the one that has the ugly brown stuff in it is almost a year old. And all my tankx are acrylic..do those go bad? (Tho if they do that will be the end of my having fish cause I don't have the money to spend on new tankx, and it's a shame cause I loved having fish).

No string's, just speck's on the plants.

I tried to cycle Romad's tank back Mai, the other tankx are not cycled.
I sorta was a bad fish mommy for a while now..had no time really to do a water change, I did a quick one when I could.
They goble the pellet's and bloodworm's up but the krill, brine shrimp and flakes..they take what they want and leave the rest.
I do gravel cleaning usually once a week.

#15 ·
Okay well it sounds good then, just remember cycling is something not all fish can withstand. The constant changes in chemical levels and different bacteria, the beneficial bacteria that keeps these levels in check would be out of line. Use bacteria additives when cycling and try only doing 25% of the water at a time. Try and get some aquarium salt in there too if you can as well. And I don't believe that acrylic tanks can go bad either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.