Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #1 
baylee767

Unhappy My fish can't swim!

Velvet has SBD, And is stuck at the surface of the water. He had it yesterday, but I'm worried because it's getting worse! I made another thread but no one replied about the SBD, so I'm making another. Velvet is stuck on his side at the surface of the water and has a huge stomach. I don't know how he got it! I feed him 2 pellets a day, any more and his stomach starts bulging. I don't soak the pellets, and I just learned that's bad. How do you think he got it? He has live plants maybe he was taking chomps out of those... or maybe he ate some of the dead leaves off the Anarchis that were floating around.

I fed him a small pellet sized bite of deshelled boiled pea and now I'm fasting him, but somehow he is much worse than yesterday. Yesterday he could stay somewhat upright and swim down a couple of inches, now he can't right himself at all and he can't go more than a centimeter down! What am I doing wrong here and how can I help him? I don't want to bother him too much because when ever I come near he exhausts himself trying to go upright. Please help me! How do I cure this and how did he get it??? The fasting and pea isn't working too well...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #2 
lilyrazen

Aww, I'm sorry to hear he's getting worse. I'd look into Epsom salt, because I hear about a lot of people treating SBD with it.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

The treatment I suggested in your other thread with the Epsom salt is the best treatment that I know about....however, if I remember correctly you have not been able to get any.....

Epsom salt is really cheap and you can get it at most any store that has a pharmacy department (I have never seen it in a pet shop)-it is commonly used for humans and plants as a foot soak, for soaking bath, drank for a laxative, use for plants in your garden....perhaps you have a relative close by to ask if they has some you can have or something......

I just treated one of my females that ate too much of an algae waffer and started to bloated, float and lay on her side and within 24 hours of being placed in the Epsom salt treatment water she was improved and back to her normal self.....it really can work fast.....

Until then I would hold all food-they can go awhile without food and be fine, also cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help keep the air warm and humid for his labyrinth organ....good luck and I hope he gets better.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #4 
baylee767

Well it's the fish store my dad hates going to, so maybe I can get some espom salt!! Thanks for telling me the advice, OFL!

Quick question... About using the leaves for the treatment. I don't really have any of those leaves since I'm in hawaii... but will mango leaves work?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #5 
HayrideHaunter

poor baby, i hope he gets better! sorry I have no advice >.<
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #6 
baylee767

`Yeah me too )=

OFL told me a treatment in another thread... She said to use oak or indian almond leaf. I'm hoping I can use mango leaf.... I have lemon tree leaf and mandarin orange tree leaf and alvacado tree leaf and pumello tree leaf too!
i have lots of other trees too, all tropical.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #7 
baylee767

Good news! My parents are going to the store and are going to get espom salt if they find it!!! =D
Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #8 
baylee767

What temperature should I keep his tank?? I read warm, but how warm?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #9 
HayrideHaunter

YAY!!! he shall get better =D
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #10 
baylee767

Can I do a 100% water change? I'd hate to injure him...

I've come to the conclusion that Velvet got SBD because I didn't soak his pellets in water before feeding... You know I should have known something was wrong when last water change there was no poop )= I should've known earlier!