Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

I can't say much about those other leave because I have never used them or heard of them...all I can say is Oak is 99% the same as IAL...so use other leaves with great caution......some can be harmful......Epsom salt is the most important aspect of the treatment........good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #12 
baylee767

I've decided to do a 95% water change, I don't know if 100% is safe. I had to mix the water like crazy to make sure that it was mixed well enough. I put 1.5 teaspoons of espom salt in his tank, so I should keep doing this until the symptoms disappear, right? I'm steadily warming the tank to 82 degrees because I've read warm temperatures are good for treating SBD. I'm definatly not risking puting any of those leaves in the teank, so for now it's daily water changes with espom salt and warm temperatures and fasting to cure.

Oh, I caught Velvet trying to eat a dead plant leaf that was floating BTW... But he didn't swallow it he just spit it back out. Wish me luck with this treatment!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:17 AM   #13 
baylee767

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My fish is getting better ALREADY!!!!

He is staying upright and swimming around the bottom of his tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's slightly off balanced, but it's a myracle!!!!!!! IDK if it's because I played my flute (my Bettas LOVE this for some reason) or because of the espom salt or the warm water or a combination of all three... but that sure was fast! He has a hard time swimming around on the bottom still, but in a few hours he went from unable to swim upright to swimming around (clumbsily!) the bottom, middle, and top of his tank! Right now if he rests he still floats to the surface, but I think I know what's motivating him! There are probably ants under his tank and he's trying to get them... so he's recovering!!

HUARRAY!!!

UPDATE: I looked close and he kinda tips forward when he goes too far under... better that than him unable to go down at all! Thank you sooooo much everyone who gave me advise!

Last edited by baylee767; 12-23-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #14 
HayrideHaunter

Yayyyyyy!!!!!!!!
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Good job......
Old 12-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #16 
lilyrazen

Lucky you plays flute. Bettas DESPISE clarinets. And I know basics on flute but not enough to sound good -w-
But congratz!
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #17 
baylee767

Just thought I'd update.... He's pretty much healed up! Something about the way he swimns is kinda... off, I think his body is tilting slightly. Now he can rest on the bottom and pretty much swim normal! Just in case I'll do one more espom salt water change. Should I fast him some more tomarrow, too? This is day 3 of fasting, I'm not feeding him today. He must be really prone to SBD, because his stomach wasn't really THAT large. It was large, just not huge. Some how he never got SBD when he was fed 7 pellets a day (That or he did and my sister never noticed, but she probably would) Yet when he gets 2 pellets a day he gets SBD. I'm upping it up to 3, since I suspect the reason his stomach is so large is because he might have parasites. Maybe even 4.

My question is, should I fast him tomarrow?
Old 12-24-2010, 01:10 AM   #18 
baylee767

Hmm Velvet was just starting to lose his balance again... I did another espom salt water change. Should I feed my Bettas some brine shrimp? Velvet might need some to help heal and since it's good for Bettas Neon could have some...

So, if I feed Velvet some BS tomarrow will he finally get better? Or will it just block himself up more...
Old 12-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #19 
Oldfishlady

I would do a full 10 day Epsom salt treatment and hold food for the first 3 days and then offer half feeding twice a day every other day during the 10 day treatment-you want to keep him in the Epsom salt 24 hours-this is why pre-mixing the Epsom salt in a 1gal jug is helpful......makes the 100% daily water changes and correct dosage easier...

Sometimes with chronic floater or constipation problems you may have to repeat the 10 Epsom salt treatment every month and feed small amount several times a day with one day a week fast...increasing the regular water changes can also help.

Good luck and keep us posted....
Old 12-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #20 
fishman12

Good luck!!!!!!!!!
@lilyrazen- Why do bettas despise the clarinet??
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote