Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #1 
Pinky42887

So in love!!

I never used to understand why people kept fish as pets. When I was a kid my dad had a huge aquarium in our living room full of different fish and back then I thought they were cool, but as I got older I found them to be boring. You can't snuggle them, you can't pet them, you can't play fetch with them. I just didn't see the point of fish as pets. But now I get it. Now I understand.

I've had my betta Shadynasty (shuh-dynasty) for about 3 years now. He is our office fish. We've had a couple of rough patches (co worker dropped him on the floor while cleaning his tank, suffered through an ammonia spike, cleaned the tank too much, cleaned the tank too little) When I first adopted him (he originally belonged to a co-worker who left the company and left Shady behind) I was like most people and very uneducated about proper betta care. For the longest time we kept him in an unfiltered, unheated half gallon bowl. We eventually upgraded him to a 3 gallon heated and filtered tank, added some plants, got better quality food and generally took better care of him as time went on and as I learned more and more. And he's been a happy little fish, which makes me happy.

I've learned so much about him and bettas in general over the last couple of months, and I finally understand now why people keep fish. Although they can't cuddle, they do have personalities and they do interact with you. Not only are they beautiful but they are fascinating animals. Learning about everything from substrates to plants to filtration systems to bacteria processes and different fish diseases, etc. etc. has also been really fun and interesting and eye-opening. I had no idea keeping a betta would seem so complicated at times!

But as we've gone through our rough patches, we've each come out better than before; he was healthier and happier and I became a more informed fish guardian. It sounds crazy but I feel like we've bonded over the years and he has absolutely stolen my heart. It makes me feel really good that I am able to provide a good home for him and that he is happy and comfortable. Ha I sound like a crazy person! I'm a proud fish mama.

I just really love my Shady! I hate to say it, but when he is no longer around I do look forward to keeping other bettas in the future because they are really fun! <3
Pinky42887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #2 
Piyoteru

I used to think the same about fish until I saw betta on Tumblr!

When I was a kid I'd see home aquariums or fish in bowls/vases. While fish were very interesting animals to me- they didn't seem as alive in aquariums. Maybe because the aquariums I've seen weren't so well taken care of. I would see fish in bowls or heaps of fish in a tank, it just made me feel sorry for fish. My own parents had 12 goldfish in what I guess to be 10 or 20 gallons, waaaay over stocked. They changed the water once a month and rarely fed them. I always felt sorry for them, that they were far more fragile than people say they are. But I was a kid and did what my parents said was "right". They didn't listen to me when I told them crayfish would eat the fish, but they put some in anyway. You can guess what happened.

I never had the desire to keep a fish because I didn't want to make another animal suffer like all the other people I saw who had fish. Last year I caught glimpse of amazing plakats, halfmoons and crown tails. All I've ever seen were red and blue veil tails in my life- I thought that was all there was to betta. I got sucked into fish keeping and obsessed over plants, filters, ecosystems etc- everything and half a year later set up my first tank, a 5 gallon natural planted tank with a lil' betta (lets say I got very confident and skipped over the "you probably shouldn't do this if it's your first tank" thing). The 6 months of research really paid off.
Piyoteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #3 
Pinky42887

A bit of knowledge goes a long way when it comes to making our fishies happy. :)
Pinky42887 is offline   Reply With Quote