Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #1 
Ademsoar

Exclamation Help with bezilla!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone, quick question, I recently acquired a new betta fish, the largest one I have ever seen anywhere from a friend, and while he was being brought over he started going belly up. I have him now in 76* 15 gal tank lightly planted, with gravel and sponge filter. As of right now he is still moving every once and a while. He can still swim up to the top for air, although I helped him in the beginning to get up there. The most recent update is that he swims up to the top and then floats back down or spirals or swims upside down to the bottom of the tank. Any idea on what the problem is,
Is he still in shock?
Maybe a change in the water?
Maybe In Temp?
I'm not entirely sure what it could be but thats why I'm here asking, Help me Pleaseee!!!!!
Thanks!
Ademsoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #2 
Ademsoar

Here he is!
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #3 
fredythefish

did you cycle the tank before or are you doing it right now? and does he have tank mates or checked the water?
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

You should probably lower the water level to help him be able to swim up to get air without having to swim very far. You might try adding in some aqua salt 1teaspoon/gallon and fast him for a few days. And keep up with the water changes. And make sure to add water conditionar everytime you do.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #5 
Ademsoar

Hey everyone just got out of muay thai, and as of right now the water is lowered to half a tank so he can swim up more easily. I cycled the water at the beginning of the week, should I cycle it once again? and also should I add him to my other fish tank? I have 20g with a female betta and 6 oto cats thats thriving right now? Maybe its the water, but I had another male betta in that same tank earlier today and he has been in it for over two weeks now and was doing good. I think it may be his swim bladder, Any idea of how to help it? I heard that maybe peas can help, a former seaworld pet store employee said they had a puffer fish that had the same problem and after feeding it peas within 5 mins it was better?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #6 
Ademsoar

I just checked the water and the balance is still at a safe level :( My poor betta!!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #7 
crowntail lover

Just add some aqua salt into his tank 1teaspoon/gallon and fast him for a few days.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #8 
Malvolti

Sounds to me like a Swim Bladder problem probably caused by sudden water condition changes.

In my experience most swim bladder problems go away on their own after a few days. Just keep the water clean and stable. Peas might help but I personally never use them, Bettas aren't designed to eat veg so it can hurt them. Although plenty of people use them and don't have problems.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #9 
Ademsoar

Ok sounds good, i added the aquarium salt, should I get epson salt though? I reduced the water level again for I feel that if it is a swim bladder problem less water = less pressure on him. I'll monitor him for another few hours and keep it updated.
Thanks for the help so far
Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #10 
crowntail lover

You can can use either aqua or Epsom salt

Tags
sick fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!