Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #1 
BettaBee

Newbie to Bettas, Completely Lost, Possible Constipation?

About a month-and-a-half ago, my impulsive sister brought home a Betta from a birthday party. She kept him with her in her dorm at college the first week, but quickly decided she just didn't want to do the work anymore and left him home with myself and my parents shortly after. My parents were less than thrilled and wanted nothing to do with Bee (my sister originally named "her" Beyonce... until I looked up why "she" was always blowing bubbles! Hence, the name Bee) and I felt absolutely terrible for the little guy, so I took him under my wing... my very inexperienced wing. (I have zero experience with Bettas, and maybe 2% experience with fish in general; we had goldfish way back when I was in Kindergarten, but they sadly passed away because my stupid five-year-old self overfed them. Needless to say, I do not want something like that to happen ever again and I want to make Bee as happy and comfortable as possible.)

That's where my issue comes in, and I hope I'm posting it in the right place! Bee appears to be constipated. I clean his tank (it's pretty small; the same one my sister originally got him in... and I've been cleaning it with soap, which I just found out I should NOT do; feel free to virtually slap me as soon as I'm finished posting) and change the water once a week (I've been putting it at room temperature because I'm stupid and didn't even think to do some research on what temperature a Betta's water should be at). Anyway... Clean the tank and change the water once a week. I have not seen any poop at the bottom of his tank since three days before I cleaned it (I cleaned it on Monday). He also has a slightly enlarged abdomen. I tried to take a picture of him, but it's hard to see in the picture... Regardless, the picture is attached.

The package of food that came with him (Hikari "Betta Bio-Gold") suggested feeding 2 to 4 pellets 2 to 3 times a day; I've been feeding Bee two pellets three times a day... could that be a reason why he's like this? Furthermore, he seems to have given up on making his bubble nest... it seems to be taking a week before he finally gets started on it (and by then, I'm cleaning the tank). Furthermore, I've noticed that for a day or two after I clean his tank, he just lays at the bottom of it.

I guess what I'm hoping to get from you Betta experts is an answer: is Bee constipated? If so, I'm supposed to fast him, right? How long would you suggest I do so? What if he still doesn't poop? Is anything else wrong with him that you can tell? How do I make him happy and healthy?! After finally doing some research, I'm ready to cry over everything I've been doing wrong!

Thank you so much in advance and for reading my novel of a post!
Attached Images

BettaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #2 
MoePaac

I'm not sure on the constipation. He doesn't look all that bloated to me. I feed my betta's 3 pellets twice a day. Some do a little more, some do a little less... have to figure out what works best for you.

Some other things I noticed. Are you using water conditioner to treat the water? This is necessary to remove heavy metals, chlorine, and chloramines.

To help with some of the lethargy, you may want to look into a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and really should be kept close to a stable 78 degrees.

What size tank is he in? A 50% water change in the middle of the week (along with the 100% change once a week) would be good for him!

Welcome to the forum!
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #3 
FeistyFins
Banned

He sure is beautiful! Bettas need a water temperature of 76-82 degrees F. The first thing I would do would be to go out and get him a bigger home, something around 2-3 gallons. What size tank is he in now?

He doesn't look bloated to me, but fasting him for a day isn't a bad idea. When I had bettas I fasted them one day a week just as a precaution.
FeistyFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #4 
kfish

He looks a tad bit bloated to me, but it's not anything hugely major! Try fasting him for a few days and increase your water changes (as MoePaac said, use water conditioner! Prime is a good brand, as is Amquel (that's what I use, but I may switch to Prime since you use less)).

Just for a reference (I don't know how big your tank is): A one gallon bowl should be changed 100% every other day, may be able to slide by with every three days.

As for feeding, I feed two pellets twice a day. I don't really see how your amount of feeding could cause bloating or be overfeeding. Maybe over time with no days of fasting?

Last edited by kfish; 12-16-2010 at 11:13 AM.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #5 
BettaBee

Thank you all very much for your quick responses! I've been fasting him for nearly twenty-four hours now, still no poop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePaac View Post
What size tank is he in? A 50% water change in the middle of the week (along with the 100% change once a week) would be good for him!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyFins View Post
The first thing I would do would be to go out and get him a bigger home, something around 2-3 gallons. What size tank is he in now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
Just for a reference (I don't know how big your tank is): A one gallon bowl should be changed 100% every other day, may be able to slide by with every three days.
The tank is incredibly small; it's the same one my sister got him in. My guess is that it's around one quart, which I know is way too small. I don't have much in the way of money, but I'll be at Petco the second I get a couple extra bucks to get him some more room! (I was thinking a 2.5 gallon?) Also, I'm assuming that since a one gallon bowl needs to be changed every other day, I should be changing his tank every day, then? Furthermore, when I get him the 2.5 gallon tank... how often should I be changing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePaac View Post
Some other things I noticed. Are you using water conditioner to treat the water? This is necessary to remove heavy metals, chlorine, and chloramines.
Quote:
(as MoePaac said, use water conditioner! Prime is a good brand, as is Amquel (that's what I use, but I may switch to Prime since you use less)).
No, I haven't been using water conditioner. (One more thing I've added to my list for Petco, though!) Thank you for the suggestions! I assume that the conditioner will come with directions, so I'll spare you having to type out a super long response.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #6 
Rain Drop

To try to get him to poop, hold a mirror up to him. He'll flare up and might empty his bowels. Works for my fish when they can't go.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #7 
Ethan

regularly you should fast your bettas a day or two so the digestive system can rest fasting him for a day is good for him. He dosn't look that bloated
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #8 
MoePaac

Water condition is much more important than a bigger tank at this moment. If you have enough money to get the conditioner, please try and get that. The heavy metals can be fatal. Once you get the conditioner, daily water changes for such a small container would be very beneficial.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #9 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBee View Post
Also, I'm assuming that since a one gallon bowl needs to be changed every other day, I should be changing his tank every day, then? Furthermore, when I get him the 2.5 gallon tank... how often should I be changing that?

No, I haven't been using water conditioner. (One more thing I've added to my list for Petco, though!) Thank you for the suggestions! I assume that the conditioner will come with directions, so I'll spare you having to type out a super long response.
Yeah, you should probably change the water every day. It's such a pain having small tanks!

For a 2.5 gallon tank, I've heard of people doing two changes a week, one 50% and one 100%.

If you get a 5g tank (I know it depends how much space and money you have), you can cycle it (which will take a month or more). After cycling a tank, you change about 20% of the water per week. No more 100% changes!

I also started out with a teeny tiny container, and after dealing with those water changes, decided something had to change! So I got this tank: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

It was pretty much the cheapest kit I could find anywhere (I paid $27, they change the price around a lot between $27 and $35). I see that it says it's out of stock right now... hopefully that doesn't stay the case for long!

To make conditioning water easier, since the directions give you the measurement in terms of gallons, I got a 1 gallon jug of spring water from the grocery store and dumped the water into a pitcher to drink later then started making conditioned water by the gallon. It worked really well for doing daily water changes in the small container, since I'd have enough for a few water changes in the gallon. And since there was no heater in the "tank," the water was already the same room temperature (although I do recommend a heater, of course! Just can't get one for containers that small).
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #10 
BettaBee

Alrighty... if anyone's interested in an update, here it is!

I went out to Petco yesterday and picked up a few things: 2.5 gallon tank w/filter, a heater, water conditioner, and some decorations! Currently, Bee is as happy as can be swimming all around in his comfortable (and much bigger) 78 degree home!

Unfortunately, he still has yet to poop. It's been seven or eight days since he last did so... His abdomen is slightly bigger and I've noticed that part of it is starting to lighten up to a white-ish color. I fasted him for nearly 40 hours, but still nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Drop View Post
To try to get him to poop, hold a mirror up to him. He'll flare up and might empty his bowels. Works for my fish when they can't go.
I tried this. Bee certainly flared up at himself, but no luck with the poop. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
regularly you should fast your bettas a day or two so the digestive system can rest fasting him for a day is good for him.
Thanks so much; I'll make sure to fast him one day a week!

Quote:
For a 2.5 gallon tank, I've heard of people doing two changes a week, one 50% and one 100%.
Thanks for the info! I'll do this.