Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #1 
Creat

Question To filter or not to filter?

I understand that smaller tanks have a harder time maintaining a cycle and filters arent useful but where is the cut off for when filters are useful and reduce the need to change the water I usually change water everyday 100% if the tank is under 2 gallons. Whats a good rule of thumb to follow when determining to use a filter or not?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #2 
gbose

Creat,

I'm a newbie re: bettas and small tanks. But I beleive if you do a 50% daily water change, you should be good.

I personally believe in filters, so I'd always put in one. Maybe a tiny one? there's a tetra whisper at Walmart for about $10 and change, meant for 1-3G tanks (which means 1G)....

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #3 
Creat

I hear that you must do a 100% water change if its around a gallon or less everyday. I just wasnt sure if this is something that is applicable to all tanks. Or should you add a filter to those that can hold a cycle?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #4 
gbose

100% water change

Creat,

Again, I'm a real newbie (got my first tank in Sept). But I can't think that 100% water changes are a good idea. Personally, I'd try a filter and if the tank cycles, I'd stay with 50% changes every few days....

Could some senior aquarists weigh in?

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote