Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #1 
greyhoudini

Question new here, couple questions

Hey everyone

I'm interested in getting a betta, but I was wondering whether a 2.5 gallon tank would be sufficient for 1 fish? its one of these:

I need something small and low maintanance. I think it came with a filter, but I dont have it anymore. I also remember purchasing a small cheap heater, but I accidentally melted it.

Do you think I should keep this tank and get a new filter/heater for it, or just upgrade to 5 gallon? Also which heater/filter would you recommend for that size (0or 5 gal. tank?)

thanks
greyhoudini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #2 
Welsh

The minimum tank size for a single betta is 2.5gallon, however upgrading the tank is completely up to you
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #3 
fishman12

I would upgrade it. Those filters are unique to the MiniBow, so they are probably pretty hard to find. As for the heater you might get a hydor 7.5 watts or a hydor 25 watts. 25 Watts for 5g; 7.5 for 2.5. The 5 gallon would be easier on you and It will cycle easier.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #4 
Malvolti

A 2.5 gallon tank is fine for a betta. Filters are optional but recommended (by me) since they help make the tank a little cleaner for a little longer. If you do want a filter you'll need to get something else since, as was mentioned, the filters for those are unique and next to impossible to replace.

Any 25w adjustable submersible heater will do for any tank 2.5 gallons up to 5 gallons, even a bit higher depending on the brand.

If you want to keep with the low maintenance idea and don't mind the extra initial cost I would recommend picking up some live plants. Things like Java Fern, Anubias or Anacharis are much loved by Bettas and are basically plant it and forget it. They will pull some of the ammonia and other harmful chemicals out of the tank so it stays a little cleaner between cleanings.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #5 
FishyFriend1

if you ask me, and we all do things differently, but i think 5 gallons is perfect for a betta. alone mind you. yes 2.5 is at least needed but my view is that if you take on the responsibly of caring for a living creature, especially a fish in a tank, to give it the best life possible.
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote