Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

I'm totally stuck!

Hello! I just got the 2.5 gallon Mini Bow aquarium a week ago today. I have been keeping my HM betta Butterfly in there, and his torn fins are healing very well. I wanted to get a little cleaner "buddy" to keep the gravel cleaner. I was planning on getting 1 or 2 ghost shrimp, but my local Petsmart didn't have any! I asked the lady what kind of cleaner fish I could get for a 2.5 gallon filtered/heated tank with 1 male betta in it, and she reccomended 1 Cory catfish. My dad told me they were great and he had one as a kid in his small 3 gallon tank with a couple neon tetra, and all of his fish lived for years. He said the he had normal gravel in his tank and the cory catfish was fine with the other fish and even enjoyed their company. So, I bought 1 cory catfish I have named Benny. He's been in this tank for 2 days, and he seems very happy. He is still pretty small, only 1-1.5" and I understand that they grow to be about 2", but bettas don't follow the 1" per gallon rule as closely. Well, Butterfly likes playing tag with Benny. He only nips a little, and Benny has become very good at hiding and avoiding him if he feels like it. I have been feeding Benny flakes and a few pellets. I soak them beforehand so they sink...
Well, I really like Benny! He's a happy camper in there, believe me. But, everyone on this site says I should bring him back immediately, ASAP.
1) According to everyone they can't have normal gravel, they need sand.
2) They need to be in groups. More fish = bigger tank. I can't get a bigger tank.
3) Bettas hate catfish. (Tell that to Butterfly! He has no idea. He does occasionally nip at him, but then Benny just swims away and then they're fine.)
What am I supposed to do? I really don't want to bring Benny back because I just know Butterfly would be mad. He likes his new buddy! And Benny seems very happy, no tears in his fins and he's always relaxing calmly or swimming or playing with Butterfly. He is really good at sniffling in the little rocks for little bits of food, and his eyes are really cool! They can swivel all over by themselves, and they are big and orange...
Sorry for the novel. What should I do? :/
Attached Images

Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

First off, I think they need algae wafers, not pellets...

But other than that, Idk. They should have a friend, yes- they stress when alone. Id get more cover for him if your betta attacks him, even just a little.

Maybe someone with more experience with them will come along..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

Well right now I have 2 silk plants, 1 plastic plant and a small cave with 6 different openings... should I get another plant or is this okay? And thanks, pewpewpew... I love your orange dalmation! He's so cute. :)
Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

With fish keeping it is important to meet the basic needs of the livestock-we can't give our fish the exact habitat and water volume in our tanks...no where close...but we can try to meet some needs like- social, territory and space......with the corydora they are social fish and do best when kept in groups of at least 6 or more...one is not going to just drop dead........but one will be stressed without other corydoras and a stressed fish can sometimes be a sick fish and then all the fish in the tank can get sick......keeping one corydora in a small tank alone long term..... is like keeping a Betta in a small cup all its life...the fish will survive but it may not thrive.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #5 
bettafish15

^ What OFL said. Cories are active and social little gaffers, so they need to be in large groups with plenty of space to swim in, as in 10+ gallons. And they dont clean your gravel at all, btw xD Hope I helped some :) they definitely need Algae Wafers.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #6 
Bettaluver4evr

Okay, I'll return him later. :(
Old 02-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
Okay, I'll return him later. :(
If you could get a bigger tank you could have him and add some buddies, but I understand if you cant. Maybe get some snails for your bettas tank, so he wont miss the cory? :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

I have snailies in mine :3 Im sorry about your little guy. I wanted one, too, but knew I couldnt get him the friends he'd want. I DID rescue three tetras, two less than a recommended shoal, and one died of Neon Tetra disease, another of goodness knows, and now the last little one is so stressed and sad, he's contracted INTENSE ich :'c Im treating him and giving him lots of love, but cant get him more tetras because they'll get ich, too, which is stressing him! @_@ An endless cycle..
It would be sad if that happened to your little cory :c <3
And bawwww thankies! <3 <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I have snailies in mine :3 Im sorry about your little guy. I wanted one, too, but knew I couldnt get him the friends he'd want. I DID rescue three tetras, two less than a recommended shoal, and one died of Neon Tetra disease, another of goodness knows, and now the last little one is so stressed and sad, he's contracted INTENSE ich :'c Im treating him and giving him lots of love, but cant get him more tetras because they'll get ich, too, which is stressing him! @_@ An endless cycle..
It would be sad if that happened to your little cory :c <3
And bawwww thankies! <3 <3
Little Benny is doing very well now, at least! He just woke up from a nice nap and is now sniffling for food. :) I couldn't return him today, I am aiming for Saturday. I have until the 28 to return him...
Old 02-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #10 
shinybetta

You could ship him to me! I am getting some more corydoras for my 30 gallon aquarium so he will be in a group of 6 or more and you can see picture updates, so you won't have to completely "Give him up".
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote