Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #1 
Littlecloud

Question Betta Sorority help

I am hoping to get a betta sorority going soon. i have one betta fish in a bowl, and i have a 10 gallon filtered tank. I was wondering how many female bettas i should get initially and how to introduce them. Should i put my current girl in and then float all of the others cups in at the same time, or slowly introduce them to my girl one by one? any tips on sororitys? I heard you are supposed to have at least 6, or have an odd number. i read somewhere you shouldnt have an even number. Should i start with 6 or not? i also read that you should quarantine your new betta fish, but while im doing that, there wont be enough in the tank? please help with whatever you know.
Littlecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #2 
crowntail lover

When you are looking for the girls try to get some that are about the same size as your female you have now.. it will help them by not being picked on so much when you do add them in with her.
The best thing to do when adding the girls into the 10g is to add them all at once.. Because if you added 3 before the other 3 than the most likely thing to happen is the new girls get picked on because the others already established dominance.. same goes as if you were adding one at a time.. or 2, 3, 4, or 5..
Also. Make sure to have plenty of hiding places for your girls so they can get away from eachother a bit..
And keep an eye on them in the beginning just to be sure everyone gets along okay. And if there is a girl that always seems to start all the fights and is picking at everyone then you can go ahead and remove her for a day, kinda like a time out, and then you can add her back in..this will just calm everyone down.
And always have a back up plan as to where you could put a girl if she just cant handle being housed in with others females. Because some just cant.
Well, I hope this helps. If you have any questions let me know. :]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #3 
shinybetta

My females are all very happy; No fights! Allow hiding spots on the top of the tank for less dominant females to breathe easier. Shrimp are good for cleaning as the females get messy when they eat. Mine love caves that have holes on both sides and they love floating anacharis plant. My females do good with any number. I have succesfully kept three together, though it isn't recommended.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #4 
crowntail lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
My females are all very happy; No fights! Allow hiding spots on the top of the tank for less dominant females to breathe easier. Shrimp are good for cleaning as the females get messy when they eat. Mine love caves that have holes on both sides and they love floating anacharis plant. My females do good with any number. I have succesfully kept three together, though it isn't recommended.
I agree! I actually have the same type of set up.. My three girls kinda love eachother. haha
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #5 
rooroober

I have 4 girls and 3 albino cories in a 10 gal and they live peacefully...for the most part ;0) but it defiantly took awhile before it was a peaceful tank! I have LOTS!! of plants and hiding places! My tank is plum full of stuff! I think it all depends on the fish...more is best but it "can" work with less than 6...but not recommended! I love my sorority tank!
rooroober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #6 
Littlecloud

Thank you for all your wonderful answers! From what it looks like right now i cant get any more fish until monday, with christmas and all that. So i put my girl in the tank. I just had to. she kept staring at it from her old bowl. on monday, we are going to put her in her old bowl and rearrange the furniture, then we are going pet store searching all around town for 4-6 healthy active vibrant girls. Then, we will add them all at once with our current girl not going first, so she wont reconize it. is this right? Also, we were wondering if the species of betta fish matter. can we mix crowntails and half moons? and so on? Are they the same or do we need to make sure that they are all the same type? We have an extra bowl that we could place 1 or 2(with a seperator) uncopperative girls in. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #7 
Littlecloud

I got a picture of my girl.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #8 
baylee767

Yes you can mix different tail types. And so long as you take your girl out and rearange everything before putting anyone in I think you'll be fine.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #9 
Littlecloud

good! the pet stores arround here dont sell many bettas, theres a huge fish store sort of by us but it takes awhile to get there but they have a GREAT selection. maybe some day i can get one from there if we go. so we are going to pet stores a lot closer in hopes of finding the girls we need. we may have to go to quite a few to find 4-7 girls that are healthy and active, i dont want a sickly betta fish to contaminate my girls!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #10 
Littlecloud

can you tell what kind of betta mine is? I think she may have been a half moon but im not positive. As for the color do you think shes a turqoise?