Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #1 
DormDrax

Here's your dinner Drax... ACK! HE BIT ME!

He eats as if he's never seen food before!

He's yet to get a swollen belly but jeese sometimes it takes 5 pellets twice a day to get him to stop begging! The normal amount I feed is 3... twice a day but then he just begs for 20mins which makes me feel bad. He's worse than my dog hahaha

Food? Um... Generic Pet-Smart Pellets, I could look but I'm sure it's average sized each pellet is about the size of the... well this '*' which I use tweezers to give to him... cept I was STUPID a few minutes ago when I felt like giving him a treat of one pellet to shut his begging off... tweezers had vanished... was about to drop the pellet in and he lept out of the tank and bit me! then went under water and started to gain speed again for another go... I dropped the pellet and ran hahaha. Drax is out for blood! XD he's nipped the tweezers before and I could HEAR his teeth clank it... it didn't hurt but it was like. "Did he just freaking bite me?"
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:50 AM   #2 
FallenMessiah

lol i dont think you have a Betta there but a piranha in disguise XD
FallenMessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:13 AM   #3 
crezelda

lol back when i worked around reptiles i raised waxworms and turned the leopard geckos into junkies. one of them lept a foot standing still and attached itself to my hand, this frenzied, glazed look in it's eyes. luckally they have negligable sised teeth lol.
i worry about feeding my guy too much, but wonder if feeding instructions are according to a room temp, small enclosure vs. a heated 10g where he gets to swim around and be active.
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #4 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by crezelda View Post
lol back when i worked around reptiles i raised waxworms and turned the leopard geckos into junkies. one of them lept a foot standing still and attached itself to my hand, this frenzied, glazed look in it's eyes. luckally they have negligable sised teeth lol.
i worry about feeding my guy too much, but wonder if feeding instructions are according to a room temp, small enclosure vs. a heated 10g where he gets to swim around and be active.
He's no lazy fish thats for sure... I think he likes to pull pranks too... Got up this morning (Bout an hour ago) and I didn't see him in the tank, so I assumed he had jumped through the gap at the front of the tank where the 'Hood' has an opening for feeding (It has a thing you can close it with, but I don't use it since thats where that vine goes in... and trust me he LIKES the vine RIGHT where it is).
Anyway... I go over to the tank all flipped out thinking he's around the top or stuck in the filter... looked around the floor... Then a minute later...
He sticks his head out of this little cave thing as if I had woken him up (He rarely used it before, now he frequents it) and then goes back to his daily fluttering around...

Perhaps I should just give him the 4 pellets a day then since he never has bloated yet and after 4... he stops begging and acts all content.

Hmm... odd question the tank hood has LED lights... DAY and NIGHT setting... both are very good... but I dunno I just feel that Drax gets all flustered (He looks up at the lights) when I turn it to night... maybe I need a better transition hahaha

I think he's obsessed with the lamp next to the AQ haha whenever I turn it on he immediately goes over to the right side of the tank... I don't know whats so special about it... Old Lamp with shredding fabric hood/cover/thing, outdated yellow bulb haha maybe it looks like a sunset through the glass to him? XD (Cuz it's kinda dim) So I've been keeping that on from dinner to before I go to bed before turning it off and just having the 'NIGHT' setting on.

ALSO ... YES I TALK ALOT! Think I'm FINALLY getting a hang of this dang filter! Was doing a small water change... (Because I'm weird) and I was watching the filter's outflow and noise and I finally found a good balance (It's bubbling kept me up last night... light sleeper I swear I could hear Drax getting air (Which sounds like a VERY quiet kiss, kiss the air quietly... thats what he sounds like))
Old 12-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #5 
fishman12

My fish has bitten me before. Now i just drop the pellet in. I can hear Russell chewing.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #6 
JKfish

He's definately eating too much. Resist the urge to feed your fish young padawon XD. 3 pellets twice a day, max. Don't over do it, he could become constipated. Fast him for a day once a week.

As for biting, it's sorta fun. I used to have a boy (my avvie) would would jump up in the air and would bite me before I got a chance to lower the pellets to the surface for him to eat.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #7 
FishyFriend1

Try getting a Treat like bloodworms and brine shrimp and give him 2 pellets plus a "treat"
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #8 
DormDrax

... too late 4 pellets in him...

I can't... help it he's like a little purple bulldog! Even when I'm in my room he just watches me going. "FOOD! FOOD! Don't you love me?" It's spooky! But I cap the food at 4... oh don't even mention fasting to my mother... she thought that sounded cruel and weird XD I'll fast him Sunday...

He's been getting even jumpier lately maybe he's gotten stronger haha (His eye is looking better btw!) if I pause with the tweezers for more than a second he leaps at them a good 2 inches out of the water.

As for the chewing... yeah I hear Drax too it's unnerving hahaha always watching me like. "Yeah... thats my teeth your hearing..."
Old 12-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #9 
JKfish

XD Did you know proportionally, a betta's head and teeth are bigger than the robot shark in the movie Jaws?

limit how much you feed him, you don't want him getting constipated, bloated, or swimg bladder disorder. Think of it as a way to test your resolve. ^-^

Last edited by JKfish; 12-24-2010 at 05:26 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #10 
kholder

What? They can bite?
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote