Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #111 
bettamaniac

I just have to say the penn-plax betta bow aquariums not the divided ones have photoshopped images on them the bettas actually have more room than that dont ask me how I know that
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #112 
fishman12

I know I've brought this thread back from the dead, but I think it's an important resource. So a few days ago I walked into petco and went over to the bettas. There was this one cup with very little water in it. I'm talking very little. like this
_

- ( water level)

_ (drawing not to scale)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #113 
fishman12

Wow.. one month after the last post
So the other day I was looking for the ghost shrimp, and was just walking along, and this man asked a Petco lady to get a goldfish for him. He was carrying one of those super tiny betta bowls. Thankfully the woman said that he would need a bigger bowl for a goldfish.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #114 
Amethyst

I complained to ThinkGeek about the USB Fishquarium. Here's my letter:

"Hello, fellow geeks,

I have bought about $300 worth of stuff from ThinkGeek in the last few months for myself, coworkers and my husband. We have all been extremely happy with our t-shirts, toys and gadgets thus far, so thank you!

However, today I wanted to write to you about your "USB Fishquarium" that you have for sale on your fine site. I wanted to alert you to the sad fact that this is an absolutely tiny "home" and is in no way appropriate for a betta fish. Contrary to popular myth, bettas do not live in mud puddles but instead live in rice paddies which are considerably bigger and fresher. A minimum of two gallons is recommended as a permanent home, with a preference for 3-5 gallons. The USB Fishquarium is only 0.4 gallons - unfortunately completely inadequate for betta fish. I'm fairly sure a cat would survive in a 3 foot box if you fed and watered it every day but it certainly wouldn't thrive - it's the same sort of deal with betta fish. Also, there is no heater or filter included, nor space to add these. Both of these items are required for bettas to live happily and healthily.

On your website you use the phrase: "(Granted with beta fish there's less frolicking and more floating in catatonia, but you get the idea)" - this simply isn't true. The reason the betta is just hanging there is because it only has 0.4 gallons to swim in. Back to the cat example, do you think a cat kept in a 3 foot box would be happily frolicking? Unlikely, but a cat in a small apartment would almost certainly do so. :)

I am a huge advocate of ThinkGeek and always recommend it to my friends, but I will certainly be thinking twice before doing so in the future - or at the very least I will be ensuring no-one buys the USB Fishquarium. It's a real shame as I love ThinkGeek and want to continue to shop with you folks! Please, please strongly consider removing this product from your (online) shelves. All it will lead to is short-lived betta fish and unhappy customers.

Many thanks for your time and consideration."

AMETHYST
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #115 
baylee767

Once at my LFS, an old lady came in and grabbed a gallon bowl and told the employee that she wanted this 5 inch fancy goldfish. Luckily the employee had enough sense to deny her...

Sorry, not Betta related, but a crazy story still to me. Pretty much all of the Betta bowls were exploited in this thread... But have you seen this one?

http://leesaqpet.com/component/virtu...&keyword=betta

I've seen it at my LFS and it's smaller than the Betta hex.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #116 
xBUBBLESx

http://www.brivi.lv/akvaristika/akva...tendi/p_140910

thats terrible ok so you might not understand what it says becouse its in latvian but ill translate to you a cool small tank PERFECT for a goldfish or any other smallfish all you have to do is buy a fish ...
xBUBBLESx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #117 
BlueHaven

I don't get why people sell these!!!
They don't seem to care about the fish, they just want money, but really if they were just truthful about it and sold the right sizes, they wouldn't be losing money, they actually might get more than the norm and people would be learning instead of just living to there benifits and not the animals at all. People have the idea that it's more expensive to have bigger tank that's smaller ones, and really if you research and get the setup it takes less out of your pocket as you might not come across as many problems and both you and the fish can be happy.
Like DIY projects, which are fun and creative things to let your kids do.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #118 
xBUBBLESx

i hate when people don't listen this person i know accually bought this bowl even tho in dollars it costs arround 30-40 $ and wondered why his goldfish died ... and i told him dont buy it but no ..
xBUBBLESx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #119 
Slipstitch

I was actually told today, by someone who has kept fish for a long while, that it's better to have smaller tanks because they're easier to keep clean >.< When I saw the ipond, I really wanted to be violent on it's creator.
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #120 
bettamaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstitch View Post
I was actually told today, by someone who has kept fish for a long while, that it's better to have smaller tanks because they're easier to keep clean >.< When I saw the ipond, I really wanted to be violent on it's creator.
I wanted to go up to the creator of the i-pond and tell them did you ever think this through, even if the myths about bettas are true the shaking would still make it miserable
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote