Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #1 
crezelda

pet shop "rescues"?

okay, i don't want to fire an argument, but i just wanted to voice my question. Is it really okay to buy an animal from a pet shop in the hopes of rescueing it, when in all reality you are giving the store money solely because it mistreats animals? i know those pleading, beady eyes say " you can give me a nice place and make me better" but in the long run the pet store wins, nay, the whole pet product industry, as now you have to medicate that animal.
please forgive me if i come off as abrasive in this regard.
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #2 
Creat

The only time I label a betta as a "rescue" is if it is in need of serious help and I get it from the store for free. Those I consider rescues because I am not supporting the company because they dont get money for being negligent.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #3 
Malvolti

Basically what Creat said. If the store isn't profiting and the Betta needs help then it is a rescue. Not to say that you shouldn't buy fish from a pet store in the hope to give it a better life, that I call adoption.

The way the economy works, in very simplified terms, is a store stocks several units of an item. They watch how well it sells. Every time one unit is sold the store makes a note of it as being desired. For each one unit sold they will not replace it with one other unit but with two units (not exactly but there is an equation), the logic being that because they sold one they can sell two.

This system is usually referred to as Supply and Demand. Every time something is bought in a store there is an exponential growth in its relative demand and the store stocks more so it can sell more, or provide a supply.

This means if a store mistreats the animals in its care the best thing to do is avoid the store or try to get the animals for free so you are not creating a demand there. They will in return reduce their supply and not hurt as many fish in the future.

It may be painful to see the suffering but in the long run it is the best thing to do. OR you can contact the local SPCA about animal cruelty and hope they fine the store.

Last edited by Malvolti; 12-23-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #4 
crezelda

okay, it just kinda is my pet peeve when people will have pity on an abused lps animal and buy it >.< i know it means involving a being's wellfare into an equasion of persuiasion of sorts, but sadly that is how our economy treats animals
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #5 
Creat

While I agree with you crezelda I feel that certain animals such as cats and dogs are seen with greater respect then betta. And when abuse happens to them its dealt with in greater urgency and justice. The economy is just reflecting societies views.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #6 
Alex09

Quote:
i know those pleading, beady eyes say " you can give me a nice place and make me better"
False. Thats just what you imagine them to say.

Its only a rescue if the place you get it from doesn't benefit from it.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #7 
xswornxoffxjello

Yes, many "rescues" are not technically that, but I don't think it's a horrible thing to have pity on a fish sometimes. I'm not saying that you should buy from negligent stores, but occasionally I have taken home a betta from Wal-Mart and rehomed it. My Wal-Mart makes an effort to keep bettas healthy, and I bought him because he'd been there for a very long time. I hear what you're saying about supporting stores, but I already buy a lot fish things there (no choice, where I live) so I'm already supporting them.
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote