Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #1 
Xxl3eAsTxX

I hate winter time so much

During the winter time my room is the hottest room in the house.. T-stat for heat is in living room and my room has heat on 2 sides... I want to turn heat down... but my parents won't let me... my room temp is 85F right now.... I keep having to open my window to cool down my room back to 70-75F. My aquarium heaters don't even really stay on too long since my room is so warm already...

I'm worried my fish keep having to deal with changes in room temperature....

Wondering if this might be a reason my males keep dying on me.... I've bought 3 CTs within a month.... they last about a week... thing is they seem really healthy then within one night they become sluggish and die on me....
Xxl3eAsTxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #2 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxl3eAsTxX View Post
During the winter time my room is the hottest room in the house.. T-stat for heat is in living room and my room has heat on 2 sides... I want to turn heat down... but my parents won't let me... my room temp is 85F right now.... I keep having to open my window to cool down my room back to 70-75F. My aquarium heaters don't even really stay on too long since my room is so warm already...

I'm worried my fish keep having to deal with changes in room temperature....

Wondering if this might be a reason my males keep dying on me.... I've bought 3 CTs within a month.... they last about a week... thing is they seem really healthy then within one night they become sluggish and die on me....
3 within a month..? Well, I'm not sure if 85F room would do it, but do you use any water additives and such? What did you do to care for them?
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #3 
Xxl3eAsTxX

I used prime, 10 gallon tank heated, ph 7.0, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 0 ppm, ammonia 0 ppm, water temp 82-83. 2 50% water changes per week. When I go to sleep water temp is around 82.. but since I have to open my windows to stay cool.... when I wake up water temp is 78-79...

Is this possibly why they become sluggish within 1 night then die on me?
Old 12-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Temperature fluctuations can make them sick.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #5 
dr2b

I feel your pain on being the hottest room in the house. My room is the same way. You can stand in the doorway and have half of your body in my room and half in the hallway and feel the difference. It is worse for me in the summer than the winter. But I do know your frustrations with it being hot in your room and the tanks. I agree with dramaqueen though, I think the temperature fluctuations are the problem. That's a good drop for a betta... going 82-83ish to 79 daily. Is there a way to keep it cooler during the day, possibly turning the heat down in the tank?
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:28 AM   #6 
Xxl3eAsTxX

I leave my windows open now... 2 windows slightly open... able to maintain room temp of 75-80 whether the heat is on or not... and water temps don't fluctuate anymore at most 2degree difference...

I hope I can keep it like this
Old 12-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #7 
dr2b

Awesome! I found you gota find a happy medium that works for you and the tanks. I have to change my happy mediums for the seasons :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote