Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

Question What tank mate would do well in a 10 gallon?

I have a red veil-tailed male Betta.

He's all alone, but his tank is being a pain (The light has just given out, and the filter broke), so I'm moving him to a 10 gallon this weekend because I have an unused filter for a 10 gallon.

I want to get him a buddy, because I don't like leaving him all alone.

He's having some issues with fin rot and popeye right now, but I'm working on helping him get better, and once he is I'd like to get him a friend or some friends (And I'm waiting at least a week after I'm positive he's better to even consider buying a tank-mate).

I'd prefer a fish, because we've had problems with snails in the past and I'd rather not have to deal with them.

So what fish would be best in a 10 gallon?

We have some guppies and such, but I don't want to move any of them over to my Betta's tank, because we've got a TON of guppies, the males are actually neon colors now because of how much breeding has happened and the weird genes it's created, and I just don't want to deal with guppies that breed all the time.

Thank you :)
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #2 
Alex09

Your fish doesn't need or even want "friends" he may tolerate tankmates but he wont necessarily like them. He probably wont interact with them much except maybe at feeding time when they fight for food. Just need to get that out of the way. Fish are not people. They dont get lonely.

Anyways. Cory cats are generally well accepted by bettas. Other non-bottom dwelling fish are a hit or miss. I have managed to keep mine with platies. I hear that neon tetras tend to work as well.

Last edited by Alex09; 12-17-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

Corie Cats are probably the most suited with Bettas. They are fantastic fish! They will need to be in a group of 4 or more.. They eat any -->left over<-- betta food, flake foods, and algea waffers.
If you do get some Cories.. Make sure to have a lot of hiding places and live plants. :]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #4 
lilyrazen

Sounds awesome, I think cories will do good in your tank, like crowntail said. :3
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #5 
wildmagic713

Yeah, I changed my mind :P

I'm going to divide his tank and put another Betta in on the other side of the divider once he's better.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

Be careful with the dividers. Make sure there are a lot of plants to block the view your Bettas have of eachother. It will keep them from being so stressed about "putting on a show" for there betta neighbor.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #7 
wildmagic713

I'm planning on it. The silk plants I currently have are REALLY full, and I'm going to get some more. Although, if one of them proves to be too interested in the other I have a five gallon that I can use if necessary... For right now that one is going to stay in storage because I don't have a heater for it, plus I have yet to get the replacement filter sent to me.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #8 
crowntail lover

Im sure they will do okay.. Just as long as you have other things to keep them interested.. I have a pair of guys that always seem to find each other and flare no matter how many plants I add. But they dont stress out at all.. But all Bettas are different. So you will just have to see. :]
Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #9 
wildmagic713

Mine doesn't do ANYTHING. AT ALL. I've tried getting him to flare at his reflection. He could care less. He swims around the tank, explores his plants, and loves to eat and chase my finger around the glass, but he doesn't seem to care about his reflection at all. In fact, he likes to float in the place where the light causes the glass to mirror the inside of the tank, and he doesn't do anything there. It's just his floating spot. So I'm not too worried about him. It's more the other fish that I'd be worried about. And Mister Fishy's popeye needs to get better before I'm even going to start planning for another Betta.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #10 
crowntail lover

Well he sounds like a pretty cool guy! Wish I had more like him. And I hope his pop eye gets better soon! :)