Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #1 
ampshetler

Bloat or Dropsy?

I've had my Betta, Pierre, for a month now. Got him in a small bowl, upgraded to a used 10 gal tank with filter and heater. He's VERY happy. I went on a short trip with my husband and a friend was house sitting my dog, cat and Pierre. He may have over fed, although I gave him instructions. I came home to a bloated fish with poop hanging out (which I've never seen on pierre). I talked to a local fish guy who's been very helpful, and he said give some skinned green peas, it helps with bloat. Pierre ate one happily last night and even built a bubble nest! He seemed totally normal. This morning he's even more bloated with more poop hanging out. He seems equally happy. NO pineconing. Is this bloat? Or Dropsy? I'm really afraid and unsure of what to do. Note - he's been in the 10 gal for two weeks, without water changes because I'm cycling it. He had some VERY minor fin damage when I got him and I've been treating with small doses of MelaFix. Not often enough to requiere a water change. Please help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 all times
Does your tank have a filter? YES
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? NO
Is your tank heated? YES
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? NONE

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets once daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? N/A, I'm cycling, 2 wks in
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? NA
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated, poop string hanging
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's happy!
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday, got home from vacation
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? green pea pieces, on advice from local fish guy, for bloat
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Had him 1 month
ampshetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #2 
Ademsoar

Hey Amp hows it going hopefully I can be of some help.
Number One- If hes having trouble digesting try feeding him live or frozen brine shrimp as they are high in fiber. Peas are hard for Bettas to digest as they don'y normally eat them. Secondly have you ever added aquarium salt to your fishes water? This can help with the digestion of food and possibly fix this blockage. Thirdly are you sure that it is feces hanging and not some type of parasite? If you can take pictures of this that would help greatly. Fourth- Try fasting him for a couple of days, if he's been overfed this would help as well.

I don't believe that it is Dropsy, I scanned through this, maybe you should read it over more carefully http://bettafishcenter.com/Dropsy.shtml
As for you water it would be helpful if you could test this water source. It would be even better if you could get bottled water, as you are cycling the water it would create less of a chance of potential harmful chemicals from building up. Otherwise keep posting updates on your fish and see if anyone else has anything to say, GoodLuck!
Ademsoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:10 AM   #3 
baylee767

In dropsy the bettas scales start "pine coning" which means they stick up. BTW, if your cycling with a fish in the tank you need daily or every other day 50-75% water changes. If the poo is stringy, and white, than you also have a case of internal parasites. Pics would help to asses the problem!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Since it has been two weeks since the last water change-especially on an uncycled tank I would start by making 20% daily water changes for 3 days and increase by 10% every day until you reach 50% and then vacuuming really good and start a twice weekly 50% therafter until the nitrogen cycle is complete...changing too much water at this point could shock him with the sudden change/swings
Make sure to use dechlorinated with any new water added with the water changes and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees from new and old water to prevent water temp related problems/issues.

During the cycling process with the fish it is important to keep the ammonia and nitrite within safe levels so not to cause harm to the fish...with the Fishless cycle you don't need to make water changes but with Fish in you do...for the sake of the fish.....

Do you have a water test kit to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH...if so can you post the numbers

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote