Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #1 
Cecily

Cloudy Betta Tank

So I'm home for winter break and I brought my Betta fish home with me. However, when I'm in the dorms, the room temperature is constantly at around 83 F (i know, it's really warm) but when I'm at home, it's usually from 50-71F (depending on if someone's home and the heat is on or not).

Could this change in temperature be causing the cloudiness in my Betta's tank? He's usually happy making wonderful bubble nests and whatnot and the water is never cloudy. I haven't changed his food, water conditioner, tank, or tank contents since I first got him so I'm just worried he won't make it past this winter break. And I cleaned it before I left for home and no I don't use detergent to clean it.

Any suggestions or comments are really appreciated. I'm really worried.
Cecily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #2 
kelly528

How big is the tank, how often do you clean it, and is it filtered? It sounds like the change in temperature may have slowed the process at which the 'good bacteria' metabolize your fish's waste, causing an ammonia spike. You better test your water for ammonia.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #3 
Malvolti

Does the tank have a heater? Temperature spikes of 50-70 can make the fish seriously ill as well as kill off the helpful bacteria. You obviously don't need one at the dorms but do you have one to maintain a stable temp?

Like Kelly said, test your water and make sure whatever is making it cloudy isn't harmful. You may also want to increase the number of partial water changes to remove some of the cloudiness.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #4 
TeenyTinyTofu

50F?? Holy cow! Poor fish definitely needs a heater so he can have stable temps.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloudy, tank, temperature, water