betta fish

Old 12-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #11 
Confucius

here are pictures of him when I first got him..maybe you can see the difference
Attached Images

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #12 
crowntail lover

Oh yes. I can see the difference. Well you can try what I suggested if you want and see how that helps. :] Because its not a sever case of fin rot.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #13 
Confucius

ah that's good to hear. Thank you. I was thinking of giving him betta revive or some of the medicine they have should I bother? and how often should I add the aqua salt?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #14 
crowntail lover

No.. The aqua salt should do the trick. And you will need to treat him 10 days with 1teaspoon/gallon. And while you are treating him be sure to keep up with the water changes.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #15 
Confucius

I just moved him to a 2.5 gal heated and filtered tank and added a cory cat maybe a week ago. How often should I be changing the water? Sorry for all the questions, I am trying not to mess up this new hobby of mine =p
Old 12-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #16 
crowntail lover

You should do a 25% water change 2 times a week..and a 75% water change 1 time a week. You wont have to do a 100% because your tank will be cycled. But for your Bettas treatment you will need to seperate him for treatment..
Old 12-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #17 
wallywestisthebest333

Unless you've already cycled (that link is an information guide on what exactly an aquarium cycle is and how to cycle your tank. I strongly suggest you read it. It's got tons of great info in it) your tank or you are in the process of fish-in cycling I suggest you do the 100% changes or move him to a temporary 1 gallon container and do 100% changes in that.

Also a 2.5 gallon is way too small for a betta and a cory cat fish. Bettas get to be about 2-3 inches in length so they need 2.5 gallons of water to themselves.

Cory cat's get to be about 3 inches in size so they need at least 3 gallons of water to live in, combine that with the fact that they are shoaling (or schooling) fish and need to be kept in numbers of at least 3 or more, you really need 9 gallons just for the cory cats.

You could house a betta by himself in the 2.5 gallon but that's it. I suggest either taking the cory cat back or getting a 10 gallon, 2 more corries, cycling the 10 gallon, and keeping the 2.5 gallon as a hospital tank to treat your boy for finrot in.

The reason I say this is that if you have them in a smaller container then the ammonia that they secrete from their gills (which is highly toxic to them) will build up so rapidly that it will cause issues like finrot and enflamed gills. (unless you are doing 100% daily changes, even a cycled 2.5 gallon wouldn't be able to handle all that waste in such a small space(and your boy seems to already be sick with finrot)) You need to up your water changes.

But yes 1 tsp per gallon Aqua Salt and frequent 100% water changes should have your boy back in tip top shape in no time! =]

Good luck treating him and cycling your tank! =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 12-26-2010 at 08:43 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #18 
Confucius

Thank you for all the info. Yeah I am trying to figure out what to do. I am starting up a 10 gal tank soon. I might move the cory in there and add a few more. I also have a female betta I wanna put in the 10 gal possibly. I havta figure it out, I know the male and female cant be housed together
Old 12-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #19 
Dragonlady

I would remove the plastic plant as a possible source of fin irritation.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #20 
Confucius

If I am treating him in a half gallon unfiltered tank how often should I water change and how often should I add more sea salt?