Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #21 
wallywestisthebest333

I don't think you'll want to be adding sea salt. What you want to add is Aquarium Salt.

You can buy it at Walmart in the fish section for about $3.00. It lasts for months. It's sold in something that looks like a milk carton.

I don't think they make heaters that will fit inside of a 1/2 gallon. How are you planning to heat it?

You'll want to do 100% water changes daily in a 1/2 gallon unfiltered container.

You'll want to use either 1/4 of a teaspoon or 1/2 of a teaspoon of salt for the water if you're using a 1/2 gallon container.

When you do a 100% change you'll want to take the fish out, and run everything in really hot water to make sure it's clean. Then you'll want to run cool water over everything to cool it down. Then you fill the container with water that's cool (not cold), and water conditioner. Then put the heater in, plug it up, wait for it to heat then float the cup your fish is in (preferably the one you bought him/her in) during the water change in the cleaned container. You'll leave the fish for about 10 to 30 minutes to adjust to the temperature of the tank water, then you take the cup out of the tank, empty water out of the cup until it is just enough to cover the fish, then dip a little bit of tank water into the cup the betta is in. Do this every 2 or 3 minutes until the cup is almost full. then you release the fish into the container.

Oh and if you added salt you wait for it to dissolve first then mix the water with a spoon (that you previously scalded or boiled so as to avoid soap residue, then cooled down) so that the salt water isn't concentrated at the bottom of the container. The salt will usually have dissolved by the time the tank water is heated up though. :P

I didn't know if you've done a 100% water change before so I thought I'd include some instructions. =]

So how soon are you setting up the 10 gallon?

And you'll need to do two 50% changes and one 100% change in your 2 gallon each week until you move the cory cat to the 10 gallon. Unless you want to cycle the 2 gallon using the cory cat fish. Then I'd visit the cycling thread again and do the fish-in cycling method.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #22 
wallywestisthebest333

oh and you'll want to make sure you haven't washed your hands with any kind of soap or come into contact with any chemicals in the past half hour (for soap) and hour (for chemicals) because the film of soap on your hands or and traces of chemicals can hurt your fish. =]
Old 12-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #23 
Confucius

I was thinking of cycling the 2.5 gal with the cory while confu is in the half gallon. I have a heater in the half gallon that I am monitoring and I did 1/2 tsp of the aquarium salt in there. I hope to have the 10 gallon up and running by the end of this week, i have to get my father to get it outta the attic =X. How long should I continue to keep the betta in the salt water for? How soon will it be until I see fin regrowth?

I tested the water. I don't know how accurate this quick strip thing is but it says:

General Hardiness: 30 ppm

Alkalinity 40 ppm

6.5 pH

Nitrite I assume close to 1 which isn't good

Nitrate 20

I was reading and I set up this tank not too long ago. I intend to cycle it and the nitrites should be high now... I am unsure. Let me know what you think!
Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #24 
wallywestisthebest333

Well it'll take at least a month to cycle your tank. So you might not want to try to cycle it with the cory cat if you're only gonna have him in there until the end of the week when your 10 gallon is set up. So I'd do a 100% change in the 2 gallon following the same rules as 100% changes for the 1/2 gallon. It might make water changes easier if you kept your gravel out of the 2 gallon after the first change instead of putting it back in. Bare bottom tanks are much easier to perform 100% changes in as opposed to tanks with gravel. You can put the gravel away after you clean it for use when your boy's finrot is gone.

Your boy will need to have the salt treatment for at least 7 days and at the most 10. You'll start to see healing in around 7 days depending on the fish's previous health. After 10 days you need to stop using salt immediately.

You need to wait about 10 days before trying to use salt again. long-term use of salt is bad for bettas.

If he isn't completely healed after the 10 days don't worry. The main point of the salt is to add extra electrolytes into the water and prevent infection. After the first 10 days your fish's immune system should be better and the immune system should be able to do that by itself. You just need to keep doing 100% changes with water conditioner and no salt. The main thing your fish needs to heal is clean water.

After about another week or so in clean water his fins should be good to go. You could transfer him back into the 2 gallon after he's done with the salt treatment if you want to.

If you do then you'll need to do 100% changes every other day in the 2 gallon as opposed to daily 100% changes in the 1/2 gallon.

This should keep the water quality in good condition and your betta should continue to heal. again keeping the 2 gallon bare bottomed will help with this.

Also if you put him in the 2 gallon to heal the filter is pretty much useless so you wont need to run it.

Are you going to eventually add the betta to the 10 gallon?

And you should buy the 2 more corries the day you set up the 10 gallon and add them all at the same time or you might freak your first little cory out with all that space and being by itself.

Are you going to fish-in cycle your 10 gallon using the cories?
Old 12-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #25 
Confucius

I was planning on adding about 2 more cories in the 10 gallon when I make the transfer. I actually have a female betta I was thinking of putting in the 10 gallon and leaving the male betta in the 2.5 gal by himself. Also, would it be okay to house the female betta with glofish?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #26 
wallywestisthebest333

The female and the 3 corries would put you at maximum capacity actually. The corries would take up about 9 gallons and the female betta the remaining gallon. You'd be about a gallon overstocked (since bettas need 2 gallons) but if it's cycled and you keep up with your weekly maintenance then you should be alright.

So I wouldn't add glofish on top of that. You could take the cory back and see if the female gets along with glofish but I don't think it's a wise idea anyway because the bright colors might set your girl off and she may start attacking the glofish as they tend to take up the same part of the tank (mid and top) that bettas do.

In contrast your female would most likely get along with the corries as they tend to stay near the bottom of the tank until they come up for air. So your betta would have her space (the top and middle) and the corries would have their space (the bottom). Just make sure you have plenty of hidey-holes for your corries to hang out in. =]

You could cycle the 2 gallon with your male after his finrot is healed and make sure you keep up with water changes while cycling or else he'll get finrot again.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #27 
Confucius

What does it mean if my fish gets really pale around the face and his eye color turns white?

Last night when I came home and I turned on the light Confucius was sleeping I guess cause he didn't move for a bit but when he did he was all pale. He appears to have gotten his color back this morning but he is less active. I am not sure if the water changes every day are going to be too stressful for him.