Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #1 
MadMay
Member
 
MadMay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington
Color Outcome

So I got another tank (30g) and I want to make it a sorrority. Im going to go to petco tomorrow and buy a male and a couple females condition them for a week or so and then breed them (in a 10g I already have). I want to keep all the females and I have several places for some males.

Anyway I want a spectrum of colors what are two colors I can breed together that will have the highest out come of color.

Thanks <3
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #2 
Creat
Member
 
Creat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Idaho
Most pet store betta have a mismash of genes... there is no guarantee with color or finage really. I would try lighter colors and maybe some marbles if you can find them?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #3 
MadMay
Member
 
MadMay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Most pet store betta have a mismash of genes... there is no guarantee with color or finage really. I would try lighter colors and maybe some marbles if you can find them?
Yeah I should my petco overstocked for the chrismas season and they have tons of different colors I was thinking of going with an orange or yellow male and grabbing a couple different types of multi females I'll get pics of what I get tomorrow, but they wont be very good because my camera really sucks at photographs of tanks and fish. Any other suggestions of pairs that might give me a rainbow spawn?
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #4 
MoePaac
New Member
 
MoePaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I'm not familiar with breeding bettas except what I have read on this forum. However, your interest in breeding seems a little out of the blue? Correct me if I am wrong.

If you could provide a few more details such as: do you have grow out jars? are you using live plants? what will you feed the conditioning adults? what will you feed the free swimming offspring? what will you feed the growing offspring? who do you plan giving all the bettas to?

Some of these answers will help us steer you in a good direction.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator
 
indjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
I'm not really sure about this because I don't know the theory nor have I experienced it first hand.

If you want 3 - 4 colors on one fish, IMO get a color with numerous genetic codes like orange and yellow, if possible with metallic (platinum or gold) on them and perhaps with marble back ground - This will give you numerous colors like white/platinum, red, black/melano, wild color, and sometimes even blue and green (very few will be solid colors). Then breed that to a multi 3 - 4 color - to get multi color combo which is difficult to create from scratch. Hopefully you will get a rainbow of colors.

I once bred a multi 4 colors to a solid green but only got green, green with red fins, wild color, marbles, but NO multi combo. I have never tried it again so I don't know how the multi combo works.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #6 
MadMay
Member
 
MadMay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePaac View Post
I'm not familiar with breeding bettas except what I have read on this forum. However, your interest in breeding seems a little out of the blue? Correct me if I am wrong.

If you could provide a few more details such as: do you have grow out jars? are you using live plants? what will you feed the conditioning adults? what will you feed the free swimming offspring? what will you feed the growing offspring? who do you plan giving all the bettas to?

Some of these answers will help us steer you in a good direction.
I have been wanting to breed bettas for quite some time I have been a member of ibc since august. I will be keeping all the females and I can craigslist the males and I have several people interested in males already.

Conditioning: Adults: Home-made food, (shrimp, spinach, garlic) thawed blood worms, thawed brine shrimp.

Fry Food: After the egg sack has been depleted I will feed micro worms, I think I will also attempt egg yolk. The tank should have infrosia because it will have java moss and a few more assorted live plants.

I also have plenty of grow out jars.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #7 
MadMay
Member
 
MadMay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I'm not really sure about this because I don't know the theory nor have I experienced it first hand.

If you want 3 - 4 colors on one fish, IMO get a color with numerous genetic codes like orange and yellow, if possible with metallic (platinum or gold) on them and perhaps with marble back ground - This will give you numerous colors like white/platinum, red, black/melano, wild color, and sometimes even blue and green (very few will be solid colors). Then breed that to a multi 3 - 4 color - to get multi color combo which is difficult to create from scratch. Hopefully you will get a rainbow of colors.

I once bred a multi 4 colors to a solid green but only got green, green with red fins, wild color, marbles, but NO multi combo. I have never tried it again so I don't know how the multi combo works.
Yeah you're thinking along the same lines I am this is going to only be one spawn as this is just to create a beautiful sorrority. I hope that they have some oranges left, and I will keep my eyes peeled for any hint of bf for that marble gene. In Jan if all goes well I will be getting a blue dragon geno pair for serious breeding and poss show.

Thanks so much for all the responses does any one have any other ideas incase they sold all their oranges?
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #8 
MadMay
Member
 
MadMay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington
WENT AND BOUGHT BETTAS>

I had an unexpected expense and was only able to spend 10$ :C
So I was able to find:
Valcano Female (veil tail)
Black and white marble female (Veil Tail)
Steel blue male (VT

The females are pretty stress so they might color up diffrently but I was super excited to see a volcano!
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #9 
TaylorW
Member
 
TaylorW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMay View Post
WENT AND BOUGHT BETTAS>
Valcano Female (veil tail)

The females are pretty stress so they might color up diffrently but I was super excited to see a volcano!
A volcano?? Is that even a betta color? I googled it and it turned up nothing :/ Sorry, but I'm quite confused! XD What does a volcano look like???
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #10 
MadMay
Member
 
MadMay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzyblCuDThk
Fins look exactly like this only she dosent have the copper dragon part so her body color is similar to a pinapple that yellow brown color.

Yep she has lost her stress stripes and is definatly a volcano. The marble female seems to have a deformed tail I didnt notice it because her fins were clamped due to stress when I bought her, but now that she has stretched them out the top side of her cadual looks bent downwords. I will watch it for a day to see if she is just holding it funny. I named the volcano girl Mneme and have yet to name the other two because I might take them both back and get a dbt.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DT Color Razzy08 Betta Pictures 12 08-24-2010 09:23 PM
color changes? kuklachica Betta Fish Care 12 01-16-2010 09:05 AM
What color is he? ScuitoAmi150 Betta Fish Care 4 12-15-2009 03:49 PM
color tturtle131328027 Betta Fish Care 4 04-28-2008 04:52 PM
she has no color Lindsey88 Betta Fish Care 3 02-05-2008 09:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.