Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #11 
JKfish

Stick the shrimp in, and the bacteria will grow on it's own, though it'll take longer than if you seed the tank. You can use a sock, just make sure the sock is a regular white sock, no dyes in it.

Sayurasem, cycling in 6 steps: A. add shrimp/raw fish to a tank with a constantly running filter B. Wait/monitor water for the rise and fall of ammonia. C. Wait/monitor the rise and fall of nitrItes. D. When the tank has readings of 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and visible nitrates, do a massive water change. E. add fish F. Keep up with weekly water changes.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #12 
baylee767

Will the tank cycle today? According to my dad I have to take the shrimps (I put 2 in) out of my tank. The ammonia needs to get between 4 and 8 ppm. Right now it's around 3. I need to cycle it really well because I'm going to be putting 5 fish in almost instantly at the same time (sorority).

So will it get high enough in time? BTW, I put the shrimps in roughly 24 hours ago.

And another question. It is regular for the water to turn cloudy, right?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #13 
Alex09

No the tank will not cycle in one day. You will have to keep providing an ammonia source when the shrimp get removed. Meanwhile, keep testing your water. You will know the cycle is ready once the ammonia drops to 0. It can take up to a few weeks. Please take a look at this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Last edited by Alex09; 12-27-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #14 
baylee767

Well I think it depends on your method.

Mine is to:

1. put the 2 shrimps in

2. wait for ammonia to get between 4 and 8 ppm

3. remove shrimp

4. wait for nitrites ammonia to reach 0, nitrates 10-20.

Then I'm cycled.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #15 
Alex09

oh, I not sure. I did the fish in cycle... I thought you had to constantly be putting in an ammonia source? because once the bacteria no longer has anything to eat (ammonia) it starts to die. Hopefully someone more experienced will comment.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #16 
baylee767

I think it still provides a constant source of ammonia. Because the levels will start going down, but they'll still be there the whole time. Then I'll probably add fish the next day so the bacteria doesn't get a chance to die.

Someone who's done this version of cycling before... tell me how long it takes.

Oh! The ammonia is at 4 ppm BTW.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #17 
zoragen

Not an expert here by any means - but it can take take several weeks for a tank to cycle.

The bacteria do need a constant source of ammonia.

This is not something can be rushed.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 AM   #18 
baylee767

Is there any way to reduce the amount of bubbles produced by the filter? It's a penguin biowheel 100, and it makes so many bubbles that they build up at the surface along the edges of the tank.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #19 
HarleyRigid

I dont think it matters if the water goes cloudy because as soon as your bacteria is established you do a water change to get rid of all the crap. That leaves you with a fresh tank of water, a filter full of bacteria and you are ready to put your fish in and they then become the new and constant source of ammonia. From all accounts it seems that cycling can take anywhere from 4 - 8 weeks. All my information is what I have gathered from written accounts and none is from personal experience so take from it what you will. I will be beginning my first cycling tomorrow... best of luck to us all.
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #20 
baylee767

Substrate changing....

The bacteria haven't started forming yet. I might be doing a community with cories, and I'd prefer sand. Can I afford to unplug the filter for probably an hour to switch out the substrate and take out the substrate or would it mess up the cycle?