Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #1 
Sara07013

Looking for advice before I get a new Betta.

Unfortunately I just lost my first Betta that I had for a couple of months because I had him in bad conditions for so long. I bought a new 5 gallon tank and a heater this time around and before I try again I will appreciate any help or tips anyone can give me to help keep my fishy happy and healthy! I loved my first betta and I don't want to do anything that can be hurting my next one. I have water conditoners and betta pellets and freeze dried blood worms. Is there anything else I could be giving them? Thank you!
Sara07013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #2 
nosada

use a heater, and water conditioner :O
some live plants are good, dont use salt it'll kill the plant
nosada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #3 
fredythefish

do you have a filter? do you know about water changes and water conditioner? thermometer to check the temperature? hiding places for your new betta in his tank? other than that, you're pretty much good to go! (depending on whether or not you're going to cycle the filter if you have it.) Just check around this forum for things you need. It's very helpful.
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #4 
Sara07013

I have a filter but I don't think I am going to use it or cycle the water if I don't need to. Seems like a lot of work. The only thing I am really unsure about is how often to do water changes and how much of the water do i take out in a 5 gallon tank? I also don't know what varieties of food I can try so they don't get bored of one thing. I only fed bloodworms to my first guy cause he hated the pellets and he ended up getting really bloated from them.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #5 
zoragen

I would do at least 1 50% water change & 1 100% change a week in an un-cycled tank.

Frozen blood worms are better than freeze dried. But neither should be fed every day.

Some fish take a while to get used to the pellets. Make sure they aren't too big for the fish & pre-soak them for a few minutes to soften them.

Fast the fish for a few days to get him hungry.

My first betta I had no trouble getting to eat pellets. My other 2 took a few days to get used to them.

I feed 3 different pellets to keep some variety in their diet.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #6 
Malvolti

In a 5 gallon I would recommend using the filter or aerator anyways. Then when you do water changes do 60% and 80% each week with one of those as a substrate vacuuming and the tank will pretty much cycle itself.

Throw in some live plants, I love Java Ferns and Anubias since they take almost no care at all to stay alive. My Betta seems to love them too so that's always a bonus. They help pull ammonia out of the water and add oxygen back in.

Maybe add in some Ghost shrimp or a snail to clean up after the Betta and any algae that may try to grow and, voila, ecosystem in a box!

Cycling and planting a tank may seem like work but really it isn't. In the long run they actually save you a lot of work.

As for the food, you have to ween a Betta off bloodworms and get them into pellets. The other option is to find a pet store near you that offers frozen food or try raising your own live food.

Last edited by Malvolti; 12-26-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #7 
Littlecloud

For water changes, I would do a 3/4 clean, it worked out with my fish, and I did it once a week, but I don't know if it was the best way to do it.
Littlecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #8 
Sara07013

I would love to get live plants but idk what kind of light they need. Is artificial light okay or do they need natural sunlight? Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 12-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #9 
Malvolti

The two I suggested, Java Fern and Anubias, almost don't need light.
Whatever light from the tank hood and general light in the room is usually good enough for those two. However all live plants are usually fine with artificial light as long as it meets their requirements. Some pants need lots of light so you have to buy special light bulbs for them, other are fine with generic bulbs.

Java fern and Anubias don't even need special gravels, substrates or fertilizers. I just tied them to rocks, dropped them in my tank and they are growing like wild.

Last edited by Malvolti; 12-26-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #10 
gbose

Sara,

I'd suggest cycling your tank. It means a little delay before you get your fish in, but will pay off in reduced need for water changes every week forever! Will allso give you healthier fish.

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote