Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #1 
Tsuhei

Okay, so this isn't an emergency..

...but I really want to know what happened to my betta, Albert Fish.

He was in a Petco cup for about 2 months...perfectly active and healthy...and extremely aggressive. I chose him because each time I walked by, he would flare at me and swim aggressively around the cup.

This was his tank:

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon Aqueon Mini-Bow
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes - Cycled for 1.5 weeks
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Snail (Black Mystery), Anubias plant, and a misc. plant (mixture of what appeared to be a type of sword and something else)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Bio Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, 4 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Didn't have an opportunity to
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? See above

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Neutral
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Less than 20 ppm
pH: 7.8 (Alkaline)
Hardness: 150 (Hard)
Alkalinity: 120 (Ideal)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? After adding the plants after two days of owning him, he developed a large, red and fuzzy sore on his left side. It grew from the size of maybe a dime to the size of a penny in less than two hours. It had fuzzy growth around the edges of the very red sore.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It did not change at all, actually.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Less than a day after I added live plants from Petco...I cleaned the plants before placing them in the tank and acclimated them.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I was told to use Bettafix. *head desk* I'm sure this also accelerated his death
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? He was only maybe 6 months old when I bought him...

When I cleaned the tank, I noticed the plants' roots have dissolved and the plants were dying or dead within a day of purchase. I'm sure this is what also aided in his death. Any explanations?
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Usually when you see sudden open wounds it is most likely Flexibacter colomnaris-this bacteria is always in our tanks ever present-two types: a fast moving type that you often see open wounds with rapid growth and death within 1-24 hours and a slower moving type that the fish can recover from

It is usually brought on by sudden change in temp going from low temp to high temps especially in an already compromised immune response fish.

IMO-the plants had nothing to do with the Betta death...long term poor water quality, long term too cool of temps, poor nutrition that caused a poor immune responde was the most likely cause in my opinion.....or it could have been an external parasite...

Sorry for your loss.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #3 
Tsuhei

Poor water quality? Maybe the parameters weren't ideal? I mean...it was a 5 gallon tank with a filter and it was cycled.. and I only had him for maybe 4-5 days until he passed? It just seems so odd... maybe I'm overthinking it.

At least I know that is was probably Flexibacter Colomnaris... I'm pretty sure it was the fast acting since he died within 10 hours when I first noticed his wound.

Thank you so much for the clarification, OFL. Much appreciated.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #4 
Malvolti

I don't think OFL meant you had poor water quality but that the extended stay in the PetCo cup was the poor water quality. Then the shock of being put into a proper heated tank is what let the Flex set in.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #5 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
I don't think OFL meant you had poor water quality but that the extended stay in the PetCo cup was the poor water quality. Then the shock of being put into a proper heated tank is what let the Flex set in.
Ah, I see. I didn't mean to make it seem I was taking offense...I'm really not sure if the water parameters for that tank was really ideal or not for something that was filtered...

Would there have been a better way to let him live, by chance? I acclimated him and whatnot.. did I perhaps make a mistake?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #6 
Malvolti

I don't think there's anything you could have done differently, it was PetCo that killed the fish with dirty water IMO, you just saw the unfortunate outcome in the form of agressive flexibacter.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It can really be frustrating when you see what appears to be a healthy fish in a temporary cup at a pet shop and you bring him home and he becomes sick soon after and then dies.....after being placed in a great setup and perfect water....you want to blame yourself......and you shouldn't......its not the hobbyist fault and often not much you can do to prevent it...sadly....flex is ever present in our water and a compromised fish that has a poor immune response often doesn't have a chance....

Some steps that you can take that may or may not help.......do slow acclimation over several hours, never add water from the pet shop to the tank, clean everything that has been in contact with the pet shop water, keep the water temp low (75-76F) for the first week and then slowly raise no higher than 78F, keep in a low traffic area, feed quality foods in small frequent meals, avoid fish that may have been in the shop under poor conditions for long periods, however, if you know this or suspect that the fish may be ill then I would keep it QT and do a preventive treatment....sometimes no matter what you do these things can happen....from no fault of your own.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote