Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #1 
kholder

Blood Worms Alone?

My betta, Shamus, will not touch a pellet, if he does, it's spit out..presoaked or not. He eats blood worms just fine. It's all he has eaten since I purchased him almost three weeks ago. He appears healthy, happy and active. I can't help but think he may need something else to supplement his diet. Can he live a healthy life on blood worms alone?
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Freeze dried or frozen blood worms...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #3 
kholder

Frozen. They come in a packet of frozen cubes.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #4 
DormDrax

I heard Freeze Dried have more protein... then again that was the PetSmart guy... who I've mentioned before is really nice and knows his fish (Meaning he seems to care rather than sell me something)
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #5 
kholder

What is the consistency of the freeze dried? Are they dried out worms, flakes, pellets? He won't eat regular flakes either..but I don't know if it's the consistency or the flavor. I guess maybe I could use a list of things to try. I do know that my dog has found the pellets very appitizing : )
Old 12-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

You want to avoid too much of the freeze dried type foods-they have very little nutrition for one and two they tend to cause bloat/constipation issues when fed as the staple diet..they are great for a treat 1-2 times a week...frozen is a much better choice, however, the more varied the diet the better...sometimes you have to starve them out a bit to get them eating the Betta type pellets....

I use a flake type food to wean my Bettas off the live food and my home made food so they know how to eat for the new owners-I like the Ocean nutrition brand tropical fish food and I also use a micro wafer by Hikari that they seem to like real well...a bit more meal base than I like but it was Free and really small so the smaller/younger Bettas can eat it without too much problems but fed along with the Ocean nutrition community and formula one that is more meat based
Old 12-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #7 
kholder

Thanks, OFL, just because I didn't reply earlier doesn't mean I haven't been paying attention :) After a day of fasting and knowing he was expecting a blood worm, I dropped in a presoaked pellet, and BLAM, Shaumus had it gone in less than a second and did not spit it out. I waited about thirty seconds and dropped another pellet in...he wasn't falling for that one twice. Regardless, I will continue to introduce a pellet now and then in hopes of getting the boy on a more varied and nutritious diet.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Awesome....good to hear he ate a least one...lol.....they do like to keep us on our toes......laffs....
Old 12-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #9 
jessiepbg

Hehe, I didn't know bloodworms weren't an ok staple diet until recently. When I tried to switch my betta over, he wouldn't even consider eating the pellets. I fasted him for a little over a day, then dropped in a pellet and he chowed down. He wouldn't take a second one, so I just fished the extra one out and waited until the evening to feed him again. After that, he's been pretty happy eating 2-3 pellets twice a day. Even starving he wouldn't eat a presoaked pellet though. You might want to try a dry one just to see.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #10 
Roos

Im starting to have a similar feeding issues with my Betta (Little Buddy, previously Kitty). The food that came with him used Blood Worms as its main ingredient and he chowed down with no problems, but alas, me girlfriends dog got into those as well >.<

The food that came with me 10g tank doesn't contain blood worms and he more often then spits it out, though he keeps down occasional small flake. I'm buying a more balanced food for him in a few hours though :D
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood worms