Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

Grrrrrrrr.... Family members that know nothing about Bettas.....

So, we go to my aunt's house for Christmas dinner this year.

She, like me, has a Betta that she rescued from her daughter's (My cousin's) wedding reception.

But while mine is in a heated 10 gallon filtered fish tank with weekly 50% water changes and he gets treated when he's sick, she's got hers in a TINY bowl (Less than a half gallon. Probably a pint), no heat, clearly very few water changes from all the nasty food on the bottom, and he's obviously overfed by the amount of uneaten food on the bottom. I don't think she even feeds him Betta food! I think it's the same food she feeds her guppies/mollies.

And she has a heated 20 gallon tank in the corner of the living room with about 10 fish it in (Guppies and Mollies). She could divide it and give him a small, heated, filtered portion! It wouldn't be that hard!

He's got an awful case of fin rot, he's TINY, and I felt awful for him.

I really wanted to say something, and I was going to mention it, but my mom knew I would and was like "We know best."

I was going *facepalm* because none of them know ANYTHING about Bettas, and I actually do. But they won't take me seriously because "we're adults so we know best."

I feel sooooo bad for him. He's a red VT like my guy is, but BOY is he small. I think the awful water and lack of proper food distorted his growth.

But, so this entire post is not completely angry, I got home to find that Mister Fishy has found a new game to amuse himself.

He likes to swim up to the current of his filter (It's not that strong except right where it comes out for a few inches, and only on top, there's no water displacement underneath from it, so he can swim around fine), sit there for a moment, and then swim into the current and let it carry him.

And I know it wasn't just a one time thing because he did it three times while I was watching him. I thought it was cute :)
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #2 
baylee767

Aw poor Betta )= I know I get that "Adults know better than children" Thing all the time. For example, today I was telling my dad about a few things wrong with a fish store we really like. "They don't know how to keep their female Bettas. They only put 2 in a 5 gallon and the other gets beat up!" Then he says... "Well, THEY'RE the experts. They know what they're doing."

I mean, I don't get it that bad. Plenty of people have to endure more ignorant adults.

Back to the subject. At least Mr. Fishy (Love that name XD) Is having fun.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #3 
fredythefish

You could ask to take her betta "off her hands" so she wouldn't have to worry about him lol
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #4 
BettaBuddi1221

My grandparents are getting a betta as we speak. I have told them every thing I know I just hope this works and I don't have to end up rescuing The little gye
BettaBuddi1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #5 
Luimeril

why not ask if you can have him? say something like "his fins look pretty bad. :/ would you like me to take care of him for you? i'm not saying you're doing anything wrong(obvious lie. >.>), but i know how to treat fin rot, and it won't get any better sitting in that bowl. it's an infection, and the nasty, molding food isn't gonna help it any. i can tell you love fish, because your mollies and guppies are stunning!" or.... something. o.0 don't make it sound like she doesn't know anything, cause that just makes people mad. just suggest that it's alot of work, and that she's a busy lady with her other fish, or something. >.>;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #6 
Nutt007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
why not ask if you can have him? say something like "his fins look pretty bad. :/ would you like me to take care of him for you? i'm not saying you're doing anything wrong(obvious lie. >.>), but i know how to treat fin rot, and it won't get any better sitting in that bowl. it's an infection, and the nasty, molding food isn't gonna help it any. i can tell you love fish, because your mollies and guppies are stunning!" or.... something. o.0 don't make it sound like she doesn't know anything, cause that just makes people mad. just suggest that it's alot of work, and that she's a busy lady with her other fish, or something. >.>;
+1

This is a perfect idea!
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #7 
Omboc

My betta loves doing the same thing, I think it funny. I love watching him though.

My family members don't really understand either, they all tell me that I care too much. I just want the best for my betta, he is a living, breathing animal after all, isn't he?
Omboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think you care too much. You just love your pets!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #9 
DazzleKitty

You are obviously more caring about life than your family members, and nothing is wrong with that.

I can really relate to the age thing. I'm 23 and I still think back on the days when things I said were dismissed simply because of my age. It's very irritating.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #10 
eclover09

I know the feeling : / Ive never gone threw it with fish, my mom totally understands my passion for my Betta's, but I went through it with my sister and her pregnant bulldog >< I've worked with dogs before extensively, and I gave her advice about her dog, told her that bulldogs have lots of difficulties giving birth and were more sensitive when puppies...

Yeah well, she didn't listen, her dog went into labor and had issues. Two puppies died during labor, then there were like eight left...ALL died in the matter of a month but one, for she refused to take my advice of caring for them because she claimed her stupid husband knew what he was doing. Him? No personal animal experince and no animal compassion. Me? Two years working with dogs.

Some adults just don't really care, its sad.
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote