Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #21 
MoePaac

Anacharis is primarily to the left, stargrass is on the right. I had just trimmed the anacharis a day or two earlier as many strands had reached the surface of the water.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #22 
LucyLoofa

OH MY GOSH! :D ALMOST READY! I hope the shrimp are back in stock soon!
Any idea where I can get some Frogbit? The store I shopped at ( http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/) doesn't sell anything but Hornwort (which I'm buying anyways haha). I'm absolutely in love with how easy Frogbit is to keep and transfer to other tanks since I'll have three and probably more in the future! :) So I'd love to have some of that as well!
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #23 
Oldfishlady

You might try places that sell pond supplies and Koi, goldfish etc.... they nearly always have floating plants like frogbit and duckweed since it is part of their diet and used for food for them...they usually have water lettuce too my personal favorite floating plant.....lol...

Can't wait to see pic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #24 
LucyLoofa

Thanks! You got me addicted to frogbit in the first place since it's so lightweight and easy for the little guy/gal to swim around! And thanks! I'll look at some koi stores! Off to the internet! Pics as soon as I find my camera again. :/ I might have left it at home over the holidays. It may be a week before I can get any pictures! :(

Last edited by LucyLoofa; 01-04-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #25 
LucyLoofa

Just found a steal for frogbit! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250730838820 He/She seems to care a lot about making sure the plant is clean as well so I don't have any uninvited guests like snails etc. If he gets my e-mail fast enough I'll be able to order tomorrow and it will be shipped here by the 13th/14th. Still don't have a camera...
Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #26 
Oldfishlady

Nice find and good price....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #27 
LucyLoofa

Guess who just bought a 5 gal for 27 dollars! :D (Free shipping!)
That brings me to two 5 gallons, one 3 gallon, and one 10 gallon!
So Excited!
It's a pretty little tank too! Half hex.

Last edited by LucyLoofa; 01-04-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #28 
BettaGirl290

Cool!
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #29 
wallywestisthebest333

You're camera was in your drink holder the last time I saw it (when I was leaning in your car the day before yesterday). =]

Also congratulations on your new tank (Hawkeye right? JEALOUS)!

Should I bring the 3 gallon to your place if I come down tomorrow? We could set it up and practice together! =] And btw wanna go shopping with us? We're going to an Eddie Bauer store (... I think anyway or LL bean. one of those.) so you could get some boots or something. =]

Oh! has anyone ever had water hyacinth? it looks really nice... If it's not cool then I don't mind but the price is awfully nice and it isn't terribly invasive in my state and I'd dispose of it properly anyhow soooooooooo...... yeah. :] If I could use water hyacinth that'd be awesome! =]

To clarify I wouldn't be using it any time soon... I plan on making a surprise purchase at a Petco on the way back up to school to get a 10 gallon for $10! ;] So I'll do an open top and I'd have wysteria, water sprite, water hyacinth, water lettuce (for the roots) and brazillian pennywort growing out of and around the tank... and I'd have some dwarf sagitaria, some java ferns, some red crypts, some anubias, and possibly a tiger lotus if it's not too full! XD The tank would be draped on either side by potted terrestrial ferns! <3 (my living room is so depressing it needs some life and color! XD) I'm not sure who will go in the 10 gallon yet... maybe some fancy tetras and guppies? =] Or maybe just shrimp? idk. =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 01-05-2011 at 03:20 AM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #30 
MoePaac

The water hyacinth and water lettuce would work as water purifiers. I posted on your other hyacinth thread about some concerns about their need for strong light and size.

I've been reading Diana Walstad's book and wanted to throw out a couple of excerpts about floating plants since they came up:

"While the waterhyacinth is too large for most aquariums, other floating plants more suited to aquariums (duckweed, water lettuce, water sprite, etc) share the waterhyacinth's enormous capacity to remove water contaminants. This is because all floating plants have the 'aerial advantage.'" -- page 24

"The duckweed Lemna gibba was also found to be highly effective in removing ammonia from fish effluent, particularly when the water was circulated. Ammonia levels in stagnant water rose during the first 20 hours in both the plant-free pond and one covered with a mat of duckweed. When the water was circulated, however, ammonia declined 90% within 48 hours in the duckweed pond. In contrast, in the plant-free pond ammonia levels remained constant for the first 48 hours after which there was a gradual decrease due to bacterial activity." -- page 25

I'm finding her book really fascinating (complicated at times!) and wanted to share!
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 gallon, betta, betta fish, planted tank, walstad