Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #1 
Arowan

Cholla ok?

I just moved home for the winter break with my tank, and my live plants...

But the water here is so different, that the plants haven't been able to adjust. Other than my riccia fluitans and my dwarf lily, everything is rotting away (and the dwarf lily only has one, brand new leaf, the rest rotted off).

So, doubting they'll turn around. I'm thinking of getting some java ferns and anubias next, once the last of the hectic after-christmas week is over (and giving them enough time to turn around, if they want to). I'd like to get some cholla sticks, which I've seen advertised and sold for tanks before (even Heather has them, I just can get them cheaper at a HobbyLobby) and planting the ferns and anubias on those. I was thinking 3-4 sticks, layered and stacked in my 5-gallon. Are they ok for bettas? Any prep work I need to do with them? (besides waterlogging them in a bucket, boiling them, etc)

And don't worry, I'm removing all rotted plants/leaves as they get past the point of no return... Kind of wish I'd brought my plastic plants with me too, didn't realize how the water-type change would affect my plants so much. And my fish and shrimp adjusted fine (brought 50% water from the dorms, and did their whole cup-adjustment thing, too). I'm hoping if I switch to java ferns (and a few more dwarf lilies, i think) that this won't happen when I move back up again in a month.

Long post, sorry! Just had a lot of thoughts... (and I'm an english major, I'm being taught to be verbose...)
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #2 
Arowan

3 days without a reply bump :)

Has no one used cholla wood for their betta tanks? Like, ever? I could have sworn I saw a pic of a tank with some before, on this site...
Old 12-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #3 
Arowan

Well, I bought some cholla from the local Hobby Lobby, at about $2.00 a piece.

Currently, I have 5 pieces sitting in a bucket in the garage, while I wait for them to leech their tannins and get waterlogged. No idea how long that will take--never done anything like this before. Should I change the bucket water regularly, as it's turning a nice brown, or just let it sit?

I suppose I won't be getting advice on them. I have a feeling, if I carefully sand the outside, cut, edges that there won't be anything sharp for my betta. I carefully picked out pieces that were smooth throughout the cholla.