Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #1 
ChelseaK

55 Gallon Challenge =D

There is a good chance that I will come into the possession of a 55 gallon tank. (WOAH)
Now my plan is to divide the tank up for my bettas, but as far as the decor and set up, I have NO idea what I would do...

So, what would YOU do with a 55 gallon tank? I want to see everyone's most creative ideas. This is a chance to express yourself be creating a fun environment for your fish (hypothetically). Make sure to include full details: color, size of divisions, planted aquarium or not, etc.

GO CRAZY! Have fun!
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Oops
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #3 
bettafish15

I would do white sand, nice green live plants, maybe a bit of floating moss, and colorful bettas in each divider :D What a great tank to divide! Oh, and different types of bettas in each divider, like no same type of betta in the tank. For example, a crowntail in one divider, plakat in the next, halfmoon, doubletail, veitail, delta, and so on. :3

Last edited by bettafish15; 12-15-2010 at 06:36 PM.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #4 
nomoretickets

how are you planning to divide it? i ask this because if you want your tank to look nice and classy, dividing will probably turn out fairly poorly. you will have to get either large rolls of plastic mesh or sew with fishing line several smaller pieces together. and for a tank that size id probabaly want to use aquarium sealant to make sure you dont have a catastrophic divider failure. If you are dead set on dividing, the best thing would be to get some large acrylic pieces from lows (1/8th inch would be fine) and use sealant to make your compartments. I personaly would just turn the 55 gallon into a cool npt sorority tank with a school of cory cats and some shrimp

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-16-2010 at 10:45 PM.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #5 
ilovebunnies

^^^^^ I second a sweet sorority tank!

Dividing a 55 gallon sounds like a PITA.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #6 
Apocalypse

I would put something other than bettas in it...
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #7 
ThePearlFish

I divided a 55g for my bettas, turned out to be much more difficult and a disaster than I planned for it to be, I won't do that again. one of my boys got shredded and died, it was also hard to maintain. I ended up downsizing to individual tanks and a few of mine died during that including my all time favorite betta (the one in my avatar) I hope to find one with a similar personality and look to him in the future.

I agree, if I ever got another 55g I would do just one big community tank.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #8 
TaylorW

I would do a betta sorority or a community tank with one male betta. I would definitely put bunch of African dwarf frogs in there along with some snails. The frogs would be adorable swimming around on the bottom, and you would catch them coming to the surface for air sometimes! :) In a tank that large, you would have enough room for a small group of dwarf frogs and a sorority at the same time!

Edit: Actually, there are some pretty awesome videos on youtube of 55 gallon sororities! Awesome!!

Ooh! Look at this one!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11L62W6WXos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RM6Z...eature=related

Last edited by TaylorW; 12-16-2010 at 11:23 AM.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #9 
Busted

wow, thats a very nice setup in those videos. But, could you imagine taking a betta from its store cup and letting it see its new home, it think it would be like .

Personally if my Oscar dies, his tank(55 gallon) will become a planted sonority/community tank. And I would build a nice sized slate rock cave, not sure of the other decor, but that castle in the video was nice lol.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #10 
ChelseaK

Thanks for those videos, Taylor! I definitely think I'm going to expand my sorority instead of dividing the big tank and divide my 10 gallon instead. Everyone has such good ideas! I'd love to see more!
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote