Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

I would monitor the temp as you are doing and plug and unplug-I would set the temp to 68F...your doing it right.....nice and slow...once you get to 70F I would increase to 76F over another hour...all depending on how he is acting.....how is he acting by the way......is he perking up......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #12 
small fry

A little bit. He was trying to swim up to the surface just before we put him in the cup. He couldn't make it off the gravel, though. At least he has moved abit. My sister thought he was dead when we first arrived at home. He is showing slow signs of improvement.

This kinda reminds me of when I was moveing Tony over and forgot to plug in his heater (the thread; a TERRIBLE accident, a DYING betta). His water only went to 60*, though. He recoved fine.

We are watching him. I will edit in an update in just a sec.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

(edit: The temp is at 58*F. It has risen about 5 degrees in the last 20 minutes. Maybe a bit fast. As far as activity, he is upright now. That is a major improvement! The water level is only as tall as his head right now. Should we add more water?)

Last edited by small fry; 12-26-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: update.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Good job....no, I would leave the level low for now and later as his behavior indicates slowly increase the level....you may want to cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help keep the air above the water warm and humid for his labyrinth organ...good luck...
Old 12-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #14 
small fry

We seem to be out of Veggie wrap (if we ever had any, I don't know). Is there any kind of an alternative?

I forgot to add that earlier (while I wasn't in the room) my dad reached his hand in the water and picked Luke up to get some air. I know he had good intentions, and it might have helped too, but what do I do to treat his scales? They aren't showing any signs of damage, but I would imagine the slime coat has been damaged. Should I add Stress Coat to the water?

He is now moveing his side fins (the clear ones that I can't remember the name of at this point) back and forth opposite from the other, like he is swimming. I guess this is a sign of improvement? That is what Tony does right before he goes to sleep, or right when he is wakeing up.

Is there a specific diesase that coldwater would trigger? I am watching for all signs of illness, but I was just wondering if I should be looking for something specific like ich, or fungus or something. Just to add, unfortunately, my sister doesn't think weekly WC are necesary. She has lost multiple fish to ammonia poisoning. I am working with her to do better with her new common/comet (I don't know which) goldfish that she got for her 5g tank (I know, I know, WAY overstocked!) at a fair (that I didn't attend). She hasn't done a WC for Luke since who-knows-when.

Also for heating, what do y'all recomend for a 1g "tank" with an "undergravel filter"? I think it is called an Aquaview, and it looks like a triangle. The 50W heater doesn't give him much swim room (it is about 10" long, just an estimate).

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #15 
small fry

Well, the heater in the tank is adjustable. That is what I like and don't like about it. We adjusted the temp to high. The rate of tempreture riseing was ok, but it went to 80*.. It could be the temp of the room, but I am not sure.

We took him out of the cup, but we are about to put him back in. He just can't swim. Shouldn't he be ok by now? It has been several hours. I am getting abit worried. Does anyone know how long it should be before Luke is back to being Luke? I am thinking he should already be "thawed out" by now.

He hasn't increased in activity within the last 4 hours. Like I said, I am getting worried. Will there be any permanent effects on Luke?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #16 
small fry

I need to know;
1.) What to do about heating.
2.) What to do about scales (that got touched).
3.) When/If Luke will get better.

Thanks!

(about 1.) He is useing a 50W heater that takes up WAY too much room for that small, 1g tank. Is there a specific heater that anyone can recomend? He needs a heater that can stay in his tank so that this doesn't happen again.

(about 2.) As I posted earlier, my dad touched Luke with his bare hands. Luke now has 2 scales on his side that look different. Maybe damaged. Is there anything that I can do about the scales?

(about 3.) He is back in the cup. I don't know if he has breathed (from the surface) since we put him back in the cup. He is upright, but he looks and is acting worse than he was origanally.

I hope he gets better! He isn't my fish, but Luke is a real part of the family!

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Since he was kept in poor condition by your sister it may take at least 24 hours for him to get back to the point he was at before the cold temps, however, since he was kept in poor conditions it may take longer than that.... if he recovers at all.......

Anything will work to cover the top...your goal is to maintain the heat and humidity of the air above the water.

You can encourage slim production with use of aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and water changes

You want to watch for Ich, bacterial infections like rot and columnaris to name a few.

Heater for 1gal tanks need to be 7.5-25 watts...too high of watts even with the adjustable type can over heat small tank-if 50w is the only one you have I would set it to about 68-72F and monitor the temp closely
I use the pre-set type heaters by tetra that range from 7.5-25w without problems and they usually maintain temps in the 75-81F range depending on the room temp

I would keep him in lower water level so he doesn't have to struggle too much-once you get the temp stable in the 76F range I would turn off the light, cover the tank and leave him alone so he can de-stress and recover better-only peaking in on occasion to check on him and the water temp

Good luck and I hope he recover for you
Old 12-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #18 
Malvolti

Things I've used to cover the top of the tank in the past that worked were Wax Paper (Masking tape the edges to the tank), Tin Foil, Large plastic Ziploc type bags (again, masking taped to the tank).

Like OFL said, anything that covers the top to hold the heat and moisture in, just make sure to make a few small holes for air exchange.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #19 
small fry

Thanks everyone!

We will (1) add salt, (2) cover the tank, probably with a plastic bag w/ holes poked in it, (3) try to get the temp down to a stable 76*.

Luke doesn't look like he is improveing. I know I am a little impatient for the guy to perk-up, but at this point...I don't even know if he will make it.

We are watching for Ich and FC. I hope we don't have to deal with that (especially FC!), but it is better than loseing the fish all together.

My betta, Tony has a 50W heater in his 2g hex. It is not adjustable. The tempreture is usually at 96*F. Is that ok? I don't want to fry (actually sufficate) him!

Thanks for the help, guys! I will keep y'all posted on Luke's progress (or lack of).
Old 12-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #20 
small fry

Ugh. The temp is dropped to 66*. Someone unplugged the heater.

As far as diesase goes, his indivisiual scales on the darkest part of his head are lightly, dimly colored in the middle of each scale. Looks like what Tony looked like before he got his first severe fungal infection.

When I walked in the room, he was gulping down air from the surface. He is still in the cup. He is looking slightly more active.

I still don't know what to think, but he is looking a little better.