Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #21 
Oldfishlady

I would get the 96F lowered-short term it is usually not a problem but long term can be hard on them.....stable temp is best...

I know its not your fish and you have little control of some things...but you really need to try and keep thing stable for that Betta to give him a fighting chance........ you can only do your best and it sounds like you are trying the best you can.....good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #22 
small fry

Oops! I meant to say the temp was at 66*. It hasn't been over 80* today. The heater has been plugged in. I went without checkinghim for abit when I thought the temp was stable, but someone unplugged the heater and as far as I know, didn't tell me about it.

I will watch the temp and try to make sure it doesn't crater or sky-rocket again. I will try to get a stable 76-78* temp.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #23 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by small fry View Post
My betta, Tony has a 50W heater in his 2g hex. It is not adjustable. The tempreture is usually at 96*F. Is that ok? I don't want to fry (actually sufficate) him!
This is what I was referring too
Old 12-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #24 
wallywestisthebest333

Yeah I'd get that 96* lowered. If it's adjustable then I'd put the heater on the lowest setting and see what that does. =]

Good luck with Luke and Tony!
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #25 
small fry

OMGoodness!!! Y'all must think that I am the worst betta-keeper in the world! I am sorry, I meant that it is at a steady 76*F! The hex has never heated past 80*. Don't spread any rumors of small fry being a terrible fish keeper, please lol!

Well I checked on Luke's temp and it was at 82* with the heater on the lowest setting. It is supposed to get really cold here tonight (Texas standards, about 29* - 35*). Is 82* too high to keep overnight? If we unplug the heater, we are going to have to go through this again tomorrow.

Luke seems to be more active now. He is still in the cup, but I am wondering if I should take him out and see if he is ready to swim to the top by himself. He is swimming all over the cup, and he seems to be becomeing himself "again".
Old 12-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #26 
bettabum

[quoteHe is swimming all over the cup, and he seems to be becomeing himself "again".[/quote]

Yay!!
bettabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #27 
baylee767

Must have been quite a shock for him 0.0

At least he's getting better.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #28 
small fry

Luke seems to be doing alot better. We took him out of the cup this morning and he was ready to get out of that cup!

He has eaten today, and I think he is "back to" Luke! My sister will be moveing him to a 3g aquarium called the "Aquaview 360" I think. Hopefully that will be a turning point to fish care for her. It isn't that she isn't old enough to care for fish, she just doesn't believe in water changes, or at least is too overwhelmed to do them.

Thanks for the help everybody! It is great to have the support of the forum!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #29 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear Luke is getting better...Good job......

Tell your sister....Freshwater fish thrive with fresh water...kinda like us and fresh air......think about this....and how we or our lungs feel when we move from a smoky or polluted air room into the fresh air and how much better we feel and the smile on our face......
Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #30 
small fry

I'll pass on the message.

BTW, y'all read the part about Tony's water being at 76 degrees and not 96, right?