Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #1 
LucyLoofa

Starting over and had a BRILLIANT idea

Fish Tank Diary
A place to keep a record of how many times you've changed the water that week and at what percentages. What the temperature is. Chemical levels. Plant Species used in the tank. Any possible medications.
Observations on the fish.
ETC.

If you have already used this method tell me how it worked for you.
If you haven't tell me your thoughts on this idea.
I definitely think this is a good plan, and plan on making one from scratch.
Standard A4 paper printed with ruled lines, folded in half and hardbound. about 600 pages if I can manage.
I can record my preparation ideas and brainstorm on my computer and print it out on the A4 paper to put in the front.

Not only can this serve to keep track of the tank, but it can also be a loving recording of the time you've shared with your fish that will outlast the fish.

Like I said, feedback would be appreciated.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

I think it's a good idea but you probably already knew I'd say that. XD You might want to create a thread about this on the betta art sub-forum if you haven't already. I'm sure someone would love to see the finished product and WIP (Work In Progress) updates with pictures. =]

I'm curious as to how you'll decorate the cover and if you'll do one for each individual tank you set up. =] If so how will you personalize each one? Will the books' sizes be relevant to the tanks' sizes? If so the 2 gallon book would be a neat little thing! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

That's a neat idea! I may start one after I have all of my tanks the way I want them. I'm going to be dividing a 10 gallon, and I'm going to have my little girl fishy in a 3 gallon. It will also help me keep track of my Goldfish's tank. I tend to forget exactly when I did her last water change, and when I last changed the filter cartridge.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #4 
LucyLoofa

:) Of course. I never thought of posting this in the Art sub-forum.
Some of the book may be relevant to the size, but since the 2 gallon will be my most detailed it would be very hard to have a small book with so many pages.
The covers will be personalized and the "cover pages" attached to the cover and before the title page will more than likely be a customized watercolor page with different textures and my name, the fish's name, or the tank's size and specifications gold leafed and sealed onto the page. :)
It will be very detailed and personal, sort of like an artist's journal, except for a fish tank and more scientific and routine in subject matter since it is based on concept and observation.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #5 
LucyLoofa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
That's a neat idea! I may start one after I have all of my tanks the way I want them. I'm going to be dividing a 10 gallon, and I'm going to have my little girl fishy in a 3 gallon. It will also help me keep track of my Goldfish's tank. I tend to forget exactly when I did her last water change, and when I last changed the filter cartridge.
That's the same problem I had with schoolwork this past semester.
Nowhere to write down my daily going-ons so I forgot about several key assignments. I thought it would be a good idea to record anything and everything I can about my tank so I'm not forgetful.
:)
I hope this works for you as well!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

I'm sure it will. I may just keep it on my computer to save space. My room is quite cluttered at the moment. lol
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:47 AM   #7 
scootshoot

I just dump water change, plant additive, other extraneous fyi dates on an Excel Spreadsheet.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:41 AM   #8 
baylee767

That's a good idea... maybe I should steal it lol.

Than again since I do all my stuff on sunday and wednesday it's kinda hard to loose track of things lol. Than again, I am getting my first filters...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #9 
zoragen

When I started my tank about a year & a half ago I started a note book to track the progress. I tracked water changes, water params, wrote down the plants names, fert info etc.

It's a great way to track progress or help ID problems.

Now that I've gotten into a routine I don't write everything down. But I still track the water params, when I put in fert tabs or algae wafers for the snails etc.

Otherwise I'd never remember what I've done from week to week!
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #10 
monroe0704

I've used this method for my saltwater tank when I needed to track many more chemical levels. I find it helpful to see on paper how the chemicals fluctuate because it lets me know what works well for the tank.

After a while I stopped constant tracking and only wrote down info when something wasn't right.
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote