Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #1 
wallywestisthebest333

Exclamation Firefly might be clamping!

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.75 gallons (temporary, he's been in a 1 gallon since late October/early November though)
What temperature is your tank? Well I had the Tetra submersible for up to 5 gallons in there at first and it was 74.5 degrees Fahrenheit. Now I've got one of the Marineland Stealth's in there (I'll buy a third after I get Christmas Money) so the temperature is slowly rising. Right now it's at 75.4.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None. The vases are all next to each other but I'm using a folder and a notebook to block their sight.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top fin Color Enhancing Beta Bits. It's what I've always fed my fish. It's pretty much the only food I have. I can't get to the petstore up north and I just got back home. :/ I'll try to get some frozen blood worms of brine shrimp though.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once or twice a day. If once I feed them 3 pellets if twice I feed them two in the morning and two at night

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Daily or every other day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditionet (Jungle's Start Right) and Aquarium Salt (API). I haven't used salt in a while.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Not yet. I'm about to do a water change anyway and I've gotta work quick because I need to leave for the Family Christmas soon.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He started clamping a bit and he was laying at the bottom. I was in the kitchen and my sister found him that way. He's hanging around the top now though.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's a bit lazier than he was about an hour ago. An hour ago he was swimming in vertical circles and wasn't clamped at all. He doesn't really get pale since he's yellow so I can't tell if he's paled or not. :[
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Thirty minutes ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet. I'm about to do another 100% change (I finished their 100% changes early this morning (4:00))
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He's had finrot for a long while now and I think traveling made it worse. The reason he's not quite healed up is because I lacked the funds for another marineland stealth for their 1 gallons back at college. They've been in consistently 74 degree water (except on weekends when my roommates are gone and I turn the heater up so then they're about 75 or 76) so his immune system probably isn't the best. I've made sure to keep the water as clean as possible though and to keep them from temperature shock the entire time I've had them. I'm very careful during my water changes. I take at least an hour to two hours to change their water. I'm about to use tanins from some washed and boiled oak leaves. Hopefully that will help.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not completely sure. I know he's at least a year old.

Ok so I know this doesn't sound stellar. I just hope it's not a case of sudden clamp again. I forget what the real illness is called but Alakazam died of that last summer. At first Alakazam was fine, then he suddenly clamped up and died within 48 hours after I'd given him proper care and feeding. I don't know what I'm going to do if Firefly has it.

When I took his heater out it had weird white stuff caked on it. :/ It
wasn't on any of the other heaters and I cleaned his heater with my nails this morning so I know it was clean when I put it in the vase. So instead of just switching the heaters I put the other (clean) tetra submersible in Firedrake's vase.

He honestly looks a lot better since I put the Stealth in his vase but I'm going to change the water and pretty much scald everything anyway just in case. :/ He might've just been chilled but yeah. you can never be too careful.

I'm gonna go change his water now. I'll update when I'm done. I might keep a couple cups worth of water so I can test it.

Any and all advice is appreciated and I'll take it. I will do anything for my fish!

OH!!!! And pics will hopefully be uploaded soon!
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

I thought that I'd mention that I'm not going to be using Aquarium salt when I change his water. Maybe it's a reaction to the salt?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

well I forgot to save water for testing. :/

I've gotta get ready now though but please any help is appreciated!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

I was right. He was just fine. :/ I got worried over nothing. Sorry if I scared or upset anyone. :[
Old 12-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry no one answered your post.I'm glad he's ok.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clamp, mystery, sudden